News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Oil Recommendation?

Started by ejether, July 04, 2010, 04:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejether

I'm sure this is a can of worms.
I've been going through oil like candy, not burning, just frequent oil changes because of service/maintenence.

Some people say car oil, some people say Rotella, some people say use only moto oil.

So far, I'v only put moto oil in but is it ok to save 2$ a quart or more and run car oil? If so, what kind?
Nobody every seems to say anything about an old leaky bike and what oil would be best there.. they are always concerned with there 2010 CBR10000RRXZJ and how the clutch will fair on the track.

Would some high mileage blend help to stop my crankcase leak?

Consider the can open.

Thank
EJ

Rick G

A member of the Vx800 forum , provided links to 3 sites that were very illuminating. Basically it recommended Shell Rotella T 15 40 . 10 40 car oil was described as worthless.
I converted everything over to Rotella T.

Use no oil which mentions "energy conserving"  in the round seal on the back of the bottle. It means that the zinc and phosphorus anti scuff ingredients have been left out ( to protect the catalytic converters)  and the are NOT suitable for older engines.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

I switched from Spectro to a Castrol Semi-Synth at twice the price. Both motorcycle wet clutch formulas, both 10W40
It's like adding another 150cc.  The engine idles better, starts better, revs better.  I have got a few oil leaks now around the head and somewhere down below, but nothing too serious I think.  Can't tell if the leaks were caused by the new oil but if not it's a hell of a coincidence.  Still, I won't be switching back.

ejether

I've heard that going synthetic, or blend can make leaks worse...

kev10104

I use 10w40 on the advice of Tiger and it seems to work great.Not expensive and does a good job.

vadasz1

I am currently using Rotella HD 15w-40 oil.  So far my bike is doing very well after 2400 kms on it.  Will see when I do the next oil change in about 3000 kms what it looks like.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kev10104

I usually do my oil changes at 3000 klms or less.Just to let her know I care.She treats me great.Most of the time.

vadasz1

Don't forget my girl gets used EVERY DAY.  I put at least 60 kms daily just going to work and back.  Then there is my weekend job that puts at least another 80-100 kms each Saturday and Sunday.  So in 7 days I put any where from 460-500 kms on her.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kev10104

Beautiful.Thats the way to ride her.