News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gas tank issues...

Started by 2002_wrx, July 30, 2010, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2002_wrx

Hey all,
    Just bought my first motorcycle (an 82 vision) and didn't know too much about it.  Anyhow, found out the tank has been lined with kreem, and it was coming out a little in my fuel so I started messing with it.  I put a couple gallons of acetone in and a bunch of drywall screws and have been shaking it about every so often, but there is still a ton of gunk everywhere.  I have to get this tank ready for paint by saturday...so any pointers on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.  I probably should have left it alone, but what else can I do from here?

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Hartless

Quote from: Tiger on July 30, 2010, 05:28:09 AM
:) Try Muratic acid...
i have heard of that, but were do you  get it. im in the same predicament haha

Re-Vision

Home Depot, Lowe's, or a lumber yard should have it.    BDC

[jh]

I had Kreem in my tank, used Acetone and let it sit over night, took every ounce of it out as far as I could see. POR'd my tank, had no issues with it so far.
wow!

67GTO

I did the same as jh, it worked.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

The Prophet of Doom

The question I need answered is how do you get rid of a botched por15 job without it turning to gooey sludge.  I guess that's a whole different thread

Hartless

Quote from: [jh] on July 30, 2010, 01:35:36 PM
I had Kreem in my tank, used Acetone and let it sit over night, took every ounce of it out as far as I could see. POR'd my tank, had no issues with it so far.

did it come out goey? i like your image roro! haha very nice

2002_wrx

I ended up giving in and paying a shop to acid dip it in time for paint   :(

The acetone was working...I think it just needed more time.  It made a sort of sludge at the bottom of the tank, but was dissolving the kreem slowly.  Maybe if I had more of it, it would've worked better, but it costs nearly $16 a gallon at my local hardware store! 

The Prophet of Doom

I have been told that acetone will not dissolve cured por15
I suppose I could try anyways

Rick G

contact Por 15 and ask them about removal. Lucky was in touch with them several years ago and the info he got is in the archives.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

when i first got my bike up and going, i called around everywhere  asking if they acid dipped tanks. no one does it in Oregon anymore i think it has to do with our deq I think i remember one of the shops saying that. stupid i think, kinda pisses me off

fret not

A lot of shops used to "hot tank" stuff but that is with a caustic solution rather than acid.  I don't know if they do that anymore but it was quite common. 

Your tank is pretty thin metal, so I would not think acid would be a good process to do to it.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

You do not want to dip your tank in acid!!!!!!!it would more than likely not touch  the Por15 but would eat the  tank.  Again , find POR 15  on the internet, they will be glad to tell you how to proceed.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

i dont think that its POR 15 in my tank...

Rick G

What does it look like ? Colour? is it peeling?
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Hartless on August 02, 2010, 03:49:25 AM
i dont think that its POR 15 in my tank...

But, Por-15 (the company) has a kit for removing other types of coatings.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Hartless

ok sweet  its like a beige color and yes its peeling. its kind of a silicone texture. rubbery

Rick G

Sounds like my spare tank , its probably Kreem.   Kreem is Krap!
Rick G