News:

Main Menu

Storage?

Started by munkyfistfight, October 06, 2011, 12:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

How do you guys store your Visions in the off seasons?

I'm sure most of you have lovely garages, free of road salts, critters, and what-have-you. However, I made a tactical error in buying a finicky, crotchety, old-a$$ed motorcycle while living at an apartment complex. Long story short, I don't have a garage. My options are as follows:
1. Rent a storage locker for the winter. The nicest one in the area (I've rented from before) has a rodent problem.
2. Keep it at my grandmother's, who has a nice garage. However, I have a psychotic/alcoholic cousin who lives two doors down and has a particular disdain for other people's propety.
3. Keep it at my one friend's farm, who has a nice garage, but not alot of room for my Vision.

My last option sounds stupid, but not outside of how far I'm willing to go with this:

Dismantle the entire bike and keep it in my apartment for the winter. Heck, I live alone. I'm a bachelor. I've built a Vision in my bedroom before. The ladies seem to like it. I wanted to take it apart anyways and clean the whole thing piece by piece.

Thoughts? Opinions? Critiques?

I have a solid month of riding still left on the Blue V.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Re-Vision

If you can work on it in your apartment without creating too much of an impediment, I would think that would solve your storage problem as well as allow you to accomplish any necessary maintenance/modifications. The ladies wont mind until you marry one of them. LOL    BDC

Oz Vision

Apartment dwellers who do have a garage but not a car sometimes sub-let the garage?
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

JohnAMcG

My dad knew a guy and his friend let him stay at his beach house while he was out of the country for like 6 months.  To thank him, he disassembled his car (dont remember the make, but I think it was a nice muscle car), and put it back together in the middle of the living room, and pretended it was like that when he got there.  Said he was bored. 
-JM

The Prophet of Doom

For 5 years my V sat under a tarp on the drive.  Occasionally I would brave the elements to grab a bit and take it inside to work on it in the kitchen.  You don't need no stinkin garage.

munkyfistfight

hehe, I may be inclined to do just that. My tarp looks pretty pathetic right now. I should get a bigger one. I may try to keep it at my grandmas. I really want to pull stuff like the frame and swing arm to have painted. I want to pressure wash the motor and have a spiffy clean machine come Springtime.

So, as long as I drain the gas, cover it well, and keep it out of the way of the snow plows, it should survive the winter?
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

QBS

Oil the cylinders.  Degrease by hand using "Gunk" or similar product.  Never pressure wash your M/C.  Make sure the lower edges and corners  of your tarp are well secured/controlled against high winds.

rockinjer

don't pressure wash a bike? i haven't heard that before but im always open to new ideas.

On a side note i just put my factory fairing back on because its getting really cold and rainy, now i have a hard time telling how fast im going with not very much wind!
1982 XZ550

Lucky

Yeah, don't pressure wash it. you'll force water past seals and then there's no way for the water to drain back out.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Water pushed into sealed areas and electrical connectors can't end well.  Might be hard on paint too.

The Prophet of Doom

Simple Green max a stiff brush and a garden hose are all you need

Rikugun

I would not recommend disassembly. If it's outside under a tarp I would clean it and wax the painted and chrome surfaces including the fork tubes. I put mine on the centerstand and fill the tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Everyone has their favorite. I've used many and this winter I'll be trying Star Tron. Run the bike with that treated fuel then drain the carbs. I've even left the drain screws cracked over the winter. If you're nervous about bringing the battery inside your apartment, charge it in the bike and disconnect the ground. If possible, a battery tender would be ideal. If not, an occasional trickle charge would be better than nothing. Don't forget to test the coolant for protection against the temps your area sees during the winter.

I like Simple Green too and also S-100. Simple Green had fallen out of favor in the aviation world due to it's corrosive effect on aluminum. I see they now offer a non corrosive equipment cleaner though. I still use both products but am very carefull to rinse thoroughly.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Yes, protecting the fork tubes is a really Good Idea.  They are very susceptible to pitting.  Not hard to do.  A very light coating of basic grease will do the job.  Yes, it will attract and hold dust.  No big deal.  Wipe it off before your first spring ride.