Ok, this sucks..

Started by Lucky, February 04, 2012, 10:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I've been layed off from my job. don't boo hoo, I'll get thru this, but of course, everything will be tough for a while, even if I find work tomorrow. shit happens, i'll live.

So:
I have parts for sale, if you need it, just ask.

also I know that there are at least 2 of you out there who's parts I have, my shop was such a mess i never did anything with them, or completed the project. I apologise for that... I have the shop straightened up now, and organised. Pm me about that stuff & i'll make it right.

Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

I read your PM prior to this post so at the risk of being repetitious sorry to hear about the job. It does suck but I'm sure something else will come along. Is this a temporary thing until the weather breaks and work picks up again?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Sorry to hear that Lucky.  I did 8 months without a job last year - it seriously sucks.

Some things I need for my race bike...
.Clutch cable
.Fork brace
.Tapered head bearings
.Stainless brake lines
.Stator

lexx790

I knew I was being made redundant in February since last August and the thought of it just hung over me like a dark cloud all over Christmas, so I feel your pain.
I start my new job tomorrow that I was only offered it 3 weeks ago.
I did find that not all jobs are advertised, time to go and put the word out with as many people as you can.
Good luck wit the job hunting.

Lucky

Thanks, i'm hunting like crazy :)

fret not

Lucky, I hope you can look at this as an opportunity for something to come into your life.  You know there has to be a change, let's make it a good change.  Like Lex said, "spread the word" because word of mouth recommendations are the best thing going, so tell anyone you know.  You never know who will be the one to connect you with your new future.  Good mechanics are very busy these days in my neck of the woods.  2 of our neighbors are auto mechanics, one has a Mercedes shop at his home where his father (factory trained in Stuttgart) built a house and shop and ran his Mercedes repair for several years and now the son is the sole mechanic and can't keep up with the work.  He is very good and trained by his father.  The other mechanic was let go at the Honda agency so he teamed up with a friend and opened a repair shop on their own, and they too are loaded with work.  Some folks are buying new vehicles but most are getting theirs repaired.  Hardware stores and auto parts houses, machine shops, etc. 

What do you want to do?  Where are your interests?  What technical training do you have?  What are you good at?  What do you want to learn?  Can you do CNC work?   Sometimes we can make our own opportunity if we get the right perspective.  Spring will be happening soon and lots of lawnmowers and yard tractors to fiddle with, it's time to begin preparations for spring.  Go find what you want, or make what you want.  An' we're all pullin' for ya.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Ron_McCoy

Good luck Lucky. Been there more than once myself.
Ron

Lucky

I actually do have a small engine business, run from home: East Tennesse Small Engine.  i'll fix anything from the $40 Walmart weedeaters to boat engines.  been running it for a few years, & have some regular customers, but it's seasonal.

I've had several people tell me I should open a shop, but i've watched half a dozen + local small businesses close around here in the last year, & the kind of inventory i'l prefer to keep on hand would be prohibitive, cost wise...  it's not the economy i'd risk opening a business in...

Re-Vision

Lots of businesses fail for various reasons and you can't change the economy. No risk, no gain.        BDC

Lucky

I have a lifetime of experience with small businesses, family businesses, others i've worked for & previous ones with my wife.  There are times it's worth the risk. this is not one of them...

VFan

ouch! Sorry to hear this. Its seems like it's a lot harder these days for a lot of folks to hold onto a job.

Best of luck!

Rick G

Kingman is a forest of empty buildings . Most of the problem is that absentee landlords , have no idea what revinue can be generated by a small business. They just want so much a square foot.
We had a business called "The giant garage sale" It was great ! I bought many tools there as well as electrical supplies. There rent was raised to 2800 a month!!!  The taxes were 700.  a month.
You have to sell a lot of garage sale items to pay that kind of rent. It the absentee landlord would have set the rent at 1800. or 2000 , the business might have survived . Instead the building stands empty, making them no money.

We had an independant motorcycle and atv repair which was breaking even at 1400. a month rent. It closed up this week.
When I went looking for a small building to do motorcycle and atv repairs , the cheapest one I could find was 700. a month. I never had a month where I made 700. so I started working at home.
Lucky, your on the right track!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VFan

no update on this thread. I'm assuming Lucky's situation hasn't changed yet? Much traction on the small engine business?

Best,
VFan

Lucky

Thanks for asking, i'm a week + into a new job: Advance Auto.  only part time, at least for now, but the sm engine business is picking up, in the shop right now i have a '77 2/2 Evinrude outboard for a water pump kit & a Husquvarna chainsaw for maintenance.  tomorrow a pit bike for maintenance & later a riding mower also for spring service.

hangin in there...

supervision

good to hear you found something to do!  hang in there!
" border="0