News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Luggage project

Started by pullshocks, March 26, 2012, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Finished at last!
Solid and functional, though somewhat clunky looking.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Got another project for you that I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate.

Glue 10 speed inner tube over the front half of your lower fork tubes and then spray paint the entire lower fork with high gloss black paint.  Your forks are now impervious to rock chip damage and will look new forever.  If you're interested in detailed instructions let me know.  I did this 20 years ago and my fork lowers still look brand new.  One of the best, easiest, and cheapest mods I've ever done to my '83.

This can be done to any fork lower that is or needs to be painted black. Other colors need not apply.

Lucky

QBS, what type of paint did you use?  Rubber doesn't seem like a good canvas for paint, but if yours worked... 

did you prep or prime the rubber somehow?  I know profesional automotive paints are destructive to rubber.  body shops will tell you that if your due for tires, get them after a paint job.  the Ford dealer i worked at would pull the wheels & move them to another room for safekeeping while the car was in the booth...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

That's strong and light!! I also run nine with no side cover, it looks good to me,  Those exposed, seat pins, mine are covered with split black rubber hose, no rattle. The other idea on the fork protectors, as soon as you said it, I thought of clear plastic, painted on the back side.
" border="0

Kenny

8) You will love those Krausers,On our 83 I managed to adapt the mounts so the bags sit very close to the frame of the Bike,I've made the bike into a one up machine and haven't had anything it won't do. Our bags sit a bit more forward so I had to install an insulated bit of material above the pipe.  I'm not sure what size you have but they look like 36 ltrs in size. I have white 36's on our Red n White 83, We've probably got 70th K's with them on. When I head out West for a couple of weeks I have a water proof yellow duffel and a tank bag. I'll try and post a photo of this setup in the future,I know QBS and others saw me at the 25th in Colorado.
           Cheers Ken S. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

QBS

Lucky, the brand name was Dupli-Color.  The can label described the product as "Wet Look Acrylic Enamel".  The color was WL 605 Mirror Black.  I absolutely loved the paint.  Incredible high gloss.  Have not been able to find it for many years.  Even contacted the mfger. and was told that it was no longer made.  Too too bad.

No special surface prep was performed.  If I was doing the project again today I wouldn't hesitate to go with any high quality gloss black rattle can.

pullshocks

QBS, that is a cool tip on the fork treatment.  I debated painting when I had the fork apart for a rebuild, but it seemed kind of pointless unless I did the calipers too, and I was in a time crunch to get ready for my trip.  After dropping the bike on the left side and denting the tank, the bike is looking kind of beat, and appearance related projects don't seem worth it.  Functional improvements, and maintenance, yes.  Appearance, not so much.

I do plan to put the plastic covers back on.  I designed the main rack tube low enough to clear the plastic pieces that go under the seat.

Kenney, I would prefer to have the cases spaced in closer, but it already interferes with opening the seat.  Also the Krauser mount is already bumping into the grab handle.  Anyway, I would be very interested to see how you mounted yours

The Prophet of Doom

Bags look great.  Excellent job with the mounting.   I mounted mine on a jaunty angle sloping up to the rear - I thought it looked a bit more sporty, but means I need another plan for my top box

QBS

Pullshocks, my project required removing the front wheel and removing the calipers from the fork lowers but not removing the calipers from the bike.  Forks stay on the bike.  Very easy one day project. 

YellowJacket!

Hey, That really looks GREAT.  Awesome custom work.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)