Would not have thought this was possible

Started by pullshocks, April 12, 2012, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Had a most enjoyable first ride of the year last weekend, and decided to start using the Vision to commute to work.  Yesterday on the way to work, it started running like serious crap.  No idle, no low end power, roughness...

After 5 years, and especially after my experience last summer, I knew that meant I needed to pull the carbs, and dip them.  But due to demands on my time at work and at home, I have NO time to do that for about 4 to 6 weeks.

In desperation,   I decided to try running some fuel additive through it.  I stopped at the auto parts store and bought a 6 oz bottle of Gumout Fuel System Cleaner, dumped it into the tank and topped off with gas.  After 10 miles, it seemed to run slightly better, but this morning it was still reeeaallly hard to start, and still very poor idling and rough running at part throttle.

After work the sun was out so I decided to take the long way home, and I'll be bleeped, at the 50 mile point things cleared out and the Vision was back to its healthy self.

Now granted, the blockage probably was gremlin snot rather than gremlin boogers, but the product worked.  Sure wish I had thought of trying that on my trip last summer.

QBS

Sounds like you might have had water in the fuel system and the Gumout product removed it.  What you did would have been my Plan A in similar circumstances.  Hope the good running hangs on for a long time.

Rikugun

I'll bet that was a HUGE relief when she started running right again.  :) Just the thought of having to pull the carbs - again- can be a bummer.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Protonus

One of the things I first learned as a young kid learning about cars and how to work on them, from the first mechanic who "mentored" me was that, sometimes, the best way to fix a car or prevent issues, was to beat on it, lol.  Gasoline is a solvent and capable of dissolving it's own deposits often, as well as carbon etc.    He always recommended that any vehicle get highway miles, but also full throttle runs on a regular basis to keep things "clear".  This is especially true with carbs as the gas flow path AND volume, changes depending on load\throttle.   So whenever I have an issue like this after easy riding, as long as it doesn't sound like a mechanical issue internally (bearing/bolts, etc) I let the engine hit operating temp, and beat on it.  And often times the issue goes away. 

I do believe in gas additives especially if you're using ethanol gas.  I try to run a top end cleaner thru my tank at least every other oil change in my car and my bike.  Using something like seafoam in the intake as it's running to try and clean the top end I think is also a great idea.  I've torn engines down after using seafoam while running and the difference is night and day in carbon build up and cleanliness.  Takes very little carbon to create a cylinder hot spot leading to preignition type issues or loss of power/mileage etc. 

Glad to hear it's running nice again! 

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rick G

In 1998 shortly after I got my first Vision, it did as you describe . I added some Gumout carb cleaner and went for a ride to see a friend , about  a 50 mile round trip . there was no improvement and I still had to use the choke to keep it running once off of the freeway. Next day I returned as we had decided to have lunch. I parked the bike and we drove off to eat . When I was ready to return home , I started it up and it SAT and IDLED perfectly. About 18 months later I had a return of the problem  and as we were moving soon , I dipped the carbs .  Better motorcycling through Chemistry!. 
I add 2 oz of Seafoam to every other tank.
Great minds work in similar circles!! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Update:  filled up with fresh 92 octane Shell today and the problem is back with a vengeance.

Rick G

more gunk has no doubt broken loose and is plugging some necessary passage way.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Rikugun

So much for the short lived warm fuzzy....  :-\  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

Don't waste your money on premium fuel, it doesn't need it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 16, 2012, 07:11:57 PM
Don't waste your money on premium fuel, it doesn't need it.

Funny that, as I used to think the same way. However, for the last couple of years I have used premium gas and my Vision starts and runs way better...go figure 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

I agree Tiger. Regular just isn't what it used to be. Even my lawn mower doesn't tolerate it so well any more.   :( 

Rick G

Its the damed paint thinner in the gas , but then its in all grades here.
Rick G

pullshocks

Starting to run a little better again, but I think the voltmeter might be telling me to put the new stator in

jefferson

There is alot less alcohol in the premium and thus less issues with water. My old boss at the cycle shop I worked for is now a Stihl repairman. I took my weedeater in to him for the first time with a carb problem. He got the book out and checked the manufacturer dates and it had been at least 25 years with no problems. I told him I always used premium as when you premix the gas and oil it lowers the octane. He told me that is what saved me as the alcohol content in premium is less. He showed me about 25 jars of fuel he had dumped out of units that were contaminated with alot of water. I wish they would stop the mandate that alcohol be used in the fuel.

Jeff

supervision

I've been toying with the idea, of trying to drop the low speed jet plugs, with carbs in place, then remove the low speeds , for blowing, then back together, then, good to go again.  Alcohol sucks!
" border="0

pullshocks

I was wondering about that too, SV, because I think the low speed jet is where most of the problems occur.   But I was thinking more about removing the plug and using some kind of curved hypodermic to shoot cleaner up into the jet while it is still in place.
Since the jet is so easily buggered, I think removal is best done with the carbs out of the bike.  But maybe if you have a perfectly sized screw driver you could do it safely

VisionSeattle

Quote from: jefferson on April 24, 2012, 04:19:41 PM
There is alot less alcohol in the premium and thus less issues with water. My old boss at the cycle shop I worked for is now a Stihl repairman. I took my weedeater in to him for the first time with a carb problem. He got the book out and checked the manufacturer dates and it had been at least 25 years with no problems. I told him I always used premium as when you premix the gas and oil it lowers the octane. He told me that is what saved me as the alcohol content in premium is less. He showed me about 25 jars of fuel he had dumped out of units that were contaminated with alot of water. I wish they would stop the mandate that alcohol be used in the fuel.

Jeff
Leave it to the gubmint to "fix" something. The ethanol "fix" is not only breaking things and driving up food prices because it uses corn that used to feed cattle (only), it causes lousy fuel economy. With my 2007 Ford, it consistently loses 3-4 MPG since ethanol was "offered". I've heard similar complaints from other Ford owners thru my Ford Dealer. I also understand that the ethanol does not affect cars that are Flex Fuel, which were designed to adjust to a fuel blend containing alcohol. The sad part about ethanol is it takes as much energy to produce as it "saves" energy...and with declining fuel economy it actually increases our dependency on foreign oil Rant/off.

QBS

You won't hear the corn farmers (mostly large corporate/major Wash. DC lobbying) complaining about our drivability problems.

Lucky

There isn't less Ethanol in the premium. E-10 is E-10. I test for ethanol content for my small engine business. it's easy to do & pretty well accurate.  what you do have is higher octaine.

I only use non ethanol gas, the station near me sells 3 grades (hi, low & a blend of the two) it cost more but it's well worth it. my milage is noticably better, as is the throttle response.

Ethanol attracts water. it should be kept in an EPA gas can & used within a month (really, all fuels should)

Don't bother with additives that say they negate ethahol. it's not possable.  Alcohol attracts water, basic chemistry, nothing you add is going to change that.  they will provide solvents and boost volitivity. Often they are ethanol based.  They should NEVER be used with 2 stroke fuels, your changing the mix ratio.

the only thing you should add is a good fuel system cleaner (Berrymans, Seafoam, etc)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black