Tip for replacing the Y-pipe copper rings

Started by pullshocks, May 06, 2012, 04:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Space is very limited in this area.  I spent about 3 hours trying to get the clamping rings lined before the light bulb went on--Take out the battery and battery box!!!!  What a difference!  Plenty of room!

As an added benefit I discovered that I have developed the classic melted stator kwik-disconnect, and the one connections looks very icky....the gremlins have been busy.

Guess I should move the R/R outboard while I'm at it.

Rick G

When working on the rear exhaust , I pull the rear wheel, then you have all the room in the world!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

johnclemens

Here's a tip for making sure you seal them up and not have exhaust leaks back there.

Loosen up ALL the clamps on the pipes and mufflers. You must loosen them all. front pipes-to muffler and all the Y pipe clamps.
Then take a floor jack under the collector part of the muffler. Jack it up till it just starts to lift the bike.
You'll be surprised how much the center of the muffler will go up before the bike lifts.  Having a friend hold the bars helps but if your careful you can do it yourself. If you have a friend lift it up as far as is safe.
Then Tighten all clamps while its up and bingo! no more leaks.
Sometimes this will fix bikes with leaks without replacing the copper gaskets. It just depends on the condition of the gaskets.
As a side benefit, you get more ground clearance ;D

Rick G

Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Protonus

Nice tip John, thanks! My exhaust recently started to leak a little again, I'm gonna try this soon!

1982 with full '83 fairings

Lucky

same problem on one of the bikes, but with Macs, so going to have to see how we can solve that one...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tmyth79

when resealing the copper gaskets at the y-pipe i used a product called acoustiseal, its available at napa and is a tar type sealant made especially for exhaust systems. I have been using this stuff in automotive applications for 10 years with no problems and no leaks. Just be careful not to get anywhere unwanted, it's hard to clean off.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

QBS

In the beginning one hears what sounds like the tapping of a loose valve but isn't.

Raj1988

Is there a deterministic test for the untrained ?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

tmyth79

start it up and plug the mufflers, any leaks should be obvious. use a couple rags bunched up so you dont burn yourself ;)
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

Rick G

I just put my palm over the the outlet . but then I'm an old school wrench.
Rick G

kwells

Yeh, with Rick on that...palm works excellent.

If you have Mac pipes not sure an exhaust leak is worth even fixing..ha
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com