News:

Main Menu

Started by jag84u, July 21, 2012, 03:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jag84u

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Roger and I live in the central west of NSW, Australia.  I have just purchased a Feb 1982 model XZ550RJ, serial number 16R-000708 with full fairing, twin disc brakes with 92,000 original kilometers on the clock.  We ride all year round over here hence the high mileage.  The bike is 100% factory original and in very good condition.  I needs a paint job but is undamaged.  It is a real barn find as that is where I found it.  It cost me $400.  The bike is brilliant red in colour.  There is not a drop of oil on the bike or shaft drive. The brakes work very well (but will get new fluid) and there is no scoring on the discs.  I have managed to find a service manual (genuine Yamaha), Haynes manual and assembly manual so far.  Parts appear reasonably cheap and I purchased an oil and air filter from Yambits in the U.K.  So far so good.  I have a new battery as well.  Next thing is to give her a complete service including all oils, coolant, filters etc.  I have had Yamaha's all my life since 1973 (TX750 twin) and still do.  I am 59 years old and an engineer by trade.  The only thing I need to replace is the windscreen.  Is there anything else I need to check before I start it? Thanks, Roger

Re-Vision

If you haven't cleaned the carbs you'll probably discover that it's necessary. Would love to see a picture of your barn-find. Curious as to the type of engineer you are? Welcome to Riders of Vision where we love Yamaha's too, especially Visions.    BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Welcome Roger - there aren't many from Oz here - you could try PMing OzVision for a riding partner. He's in Brizzy I think.
The 16R is a great bike - it's an 82, and the full fairing was sold as an ad-on.  There are quite a few differences from the US 82 models - the most notable that they had progressive fork springs.  You will find a parts fiche for your bike in this post http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.0
A good source for windscreens is Godiva.co.nz they are bonza screens (and pre-drilled unlike the Gustaffson ones) and they ship internationally I think, otherwise send me a PM and I'll organise something
You have an early serial # so it would not have shipped with the vacuum air-box mod.  If you don't have a vacuum operated airbox flapper then that's one possibility for improvement.  You can also improve handling a lot by replacing the steering head bearings with tapered ones.
Bobby is right carb cleaning is probably on the cards, and learn how to build a $4 manometer by searching on this site as carb balancing needs to be done regularly. Don't forget to replace your fork oil.  I'd also recommend a filer on the fuel line.
Do you drive a Jag? What model? Mine is an x-type

jag84u

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies.  In rely to Re-Vison, Thanks for the info.  As to your question regarding what kind of engineer i am.  I spent 30 years with the Royal Australian Navy.  I am an Aircraft engineer (airframes, engines, electrical, aircraft re-finisher and welder).  In reply to roro, thanks for your information as well.  As for the question on the Jaguar, yes i do have one.  It is a 1972 series one XJ6 fitted with a british 4.5 alloy V8 and is a 5 speed manual.  I also have a set of carby balancers (which I use for my XS650).  The bike has a brand new fuel filter already fitted.  Will put tapered bearings in the steering as all my other bikes have them.  Regards, Roger

Rikugun

Welcome to the site. It would seem you not only have a thing for Yamaha but the odd models!  :D Here in the states both XZ and TX models only enjoyed a two year run. Both seemed technologically ahead of their times but first year teething woes set the tone for dismal sales and eventual shelving.

Do you know how long it's been sitting?  You'll probably need to go through the carbs but it couldn't hurt to change the oil an see if she'll run and get a sense of how sound the engine is mechanically. In addition to going through the carbs you may want to replace the oil seal in the starter nose. Also, you may want to pull the left engine cover and check the starter clutch bolts as they're known to loosen. Some elect to replace the fuse box with modern blade style units as the originals usually have poor connections by now. If you've read through any posts here I'm sure you're aware of the stator and regulator issues these bikes can have as well.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Welcome, and you will find much helpful (and sometimes otherwise) information on this site.  A new section for "parts and upgrades" has been added to bring much of this information together in one place, but there is a volume of other help scattered throughout the site you should find helpful also.

Common wisdom is to get a parts bike or two if you have the storage space. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Common wisdom isn't always that wise.  Honestly, I have 2 parts bikes in 10 large plastic bins, moved house twice with them over about 7 years and the only things I have needed is a starter clutch out of one, and a handlebar riser out of another.  On occasion I pick the best part of three but it really isn't necessary.    Pretty much the bits that crap out are maintenance items - seals, rubbers etc, and are shot in all the bikes. It would have been cheaper just to get the bits I needed from a wrecker.
I'm tempted to chuck all the crap, but I just know the second I come back from the recycling centre something unobtainable will break.

Welder eh?
I have a few XZ projects that need a bit of welding.  What are you like at tanks?

jag84u

Hi, Thanks to everyone for the welcome.  I rang a Yamaha place to day to ask what oil to use in my XZ.  The service manual says 10-30W.  He had never heard of the bike let alone tell me which oil to use.  I managed to find some anyway and will be doing a complete service this weekend.  My oil and air filter turned up today and I am picking up my new battery tomorrow.  As to a previous question, the bike has been in a shed for only 4 years.  Prior to that it had just done a round trip to Melbourne (some 2200Kms).

I tried to put a picture on the forum but it would not let me.  We made it smaller but was told it was not accepted.  Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Roger

cvincer

If I'm taking a picture specially to put on the forum, I set the camera at 0.3 mega pixels, which gives a picture of really small file size,

that uploads easily via 'additional options' (situated below the space where you type your message)

If its an old photo of large file size (eg 3MB or 5MB), I put a COPY on the desktop, right click >send to >mail recipient,  then drag the

small sized file (that will have appeared) onto the desktop ......& that uploads easily.

QBS

Put a new filter on it, drop in 2 qrts. Castro 20w50, declare victory.

jag84u

Hi,

Sorry I have been absent, other commitments. My XZ is nearly ready for registration.  Thanks to Roro from NZ for his help.  I will be purchasing a new windscreen from NZ, thanks.  Managed to obtain heaps of new parts (air, oil filter, rear brake light switch, brake pedal spring, speedo cable, new seat cover, spark plugs (iridium).

I have found a fellow owner in Queensland who has an XZ550. Not far from me (about 300 miles).  Will try to get some photos on the site shortly.

Kind regards, Roger.  My eBay name is jag84u.