News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

To touch on an old subject - seats

Started by alienation, January 01, 2013, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alienation

So I have decided that I need a new seat - not because the old one is torn, or in any way in bad shape, BUT simply for comfort and riding position. My SO decided that she now wants to ride with me, pretty well all the time. SO..I need a seat that is going to let me sit a few inches lower, and I know exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is, how to manage to do so. I know I am going to get it recovered, and have an idea already in my mind of what I would like.
It all started with the SO, but sort of finished off with also wanting to change the rear light assy. Now, what I wanted to know is in regards to a sissy bar as well. My SO doesn't want to hold on all the time, and would like the sissy bar so she can lean back a little once in awhile - and I want it to put a bag against when she is not with me.
I was looking through the gallery and found the pictures of Gert Pettersson's bike, and absolutely love what he has done with the seat. Does anyone know how he built the rear back rest on the seat? It looks like he used the loop from the original light. Any info in this regard would be AWESOME. Otherwise, any other ideas for a short sissy bar or back rest? Thanks guys.

Night Vision

not sure which bike is Gert Peetertssons' bike is....what page?....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

page 2, second and third row with the brown seat and soft bags
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

oh, and the harley whips?  ;D ;D

good looking seat.. the problem with lowering a vision seat is they tend to spread your legs out more the lower you go
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

YJ, what a cold cruel thing to do to a new Vnary. 

Lucky

Hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

alienation

WOW...that is EXACTLY what I am looking for, right down to the backrest. Is that a mini-rack behind it as well?
If it's alright with you YJ, can I use those pictures for reference when re-doing my seat?

PwrManDan

LOL, YJ, I can forward the pics you sent to me if you like?

The Prophet of Doom

alienation

Thanks Roro, I have seen that one, but don't like how high it sits at the rear. I like where it's even, or almost even with the rear cowl? above the light. Still looking for a nice backrest/rear rack system that will fit the vision. Might have to custom adapt one.

fret not

There is/was a very nice rack with back rest in the list of parts NightVision put up.  I didn't see anyone speak up for it so it might still be there. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

The Vision seat is one of the best I have put my a$$  on !  My VX 800 had a horrible seat , it was narrow enough But far too thin. I worked with a upholstery  shop and after 3 attempts and 3 failures , decided to do it my self. I bought an electric carving knife  and removed the foam from a spare Vision seat. I used the front 5/8 of the foam and cut a wedge from the bottom on each side  to narrow  the seat as the VX pan was narrower . Liberal applications of spray glue and a recover with  marine Naugahyde completed it. Your right , a vision seat needs to be narrowed , but the frame rails prevent this. lowering the seat will not help , I had one that was lowered  and sold it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

The rack fret nut mentioned is quite nice. I'm guessing it's similar to the one pictured? If the rear portion of the seat was kept low enough as you described, the adjustable back rest would probably work out nice.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

alienation

Ya, I saw the post with the backrest in it, but a little too much for me as of right now. I'm planning on putting saddlebags (ammo cans haha) on it as well, so until I get the cans and the backrest all together so I can figure out how it's going to fit nicely and if I have to replace the rear turn lights. For right now the SO will just have to deal with the ride, and me with the seat anyway. Thanks for all the info guys! It really helps to know all this stuff so I can make an informed decision down the road.

YellowJacket!

The seat design is not mine.  Its one that has been done by several ROV members over the years.

The backrest/tail lid was made for me by ROV member "Kevin".  Both are a great addition to the bike.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

alienation

Thanks again YJ, definitely going to be using that design for my scoot as well, looks so comfy. As for the backrest, I'll shoot him an email.