News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

550 Vision Help. New owner.

Started by r1pilot83, June 25, 2013, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Quote from: r1pilot83 on July 06, 2013, 11:49:13 PM
I won't give up if I can figure this out. He keeps telling me that I will not be satisfied with the Vision, and will always be searching for another gear on the highway.

He's right about another gear on the highway. As far as being satisfied - that remains to be seen. The real question is will your guy be able to find some Vision carb mojo.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

The US Models have lower gearing (2.212:1) than in other markets (2.117:1).
This is a simple swap of the clutch basket/primary gear from other models such as a 16R, 11U (if you can find them)

Fuzzlewump

Quote from: roro on July 07, 2013, 09:13:37 AM
The US Models have lower gearing (2.212:1) than in other markets (2.117:1).
This is a simple swap of the clutch basket/primary gear from other models such as a 16R, 11U (if you can find them)

School me on something here, Roro...that is, if you don't mind.  :D

What kind of effect would changing the gearing have on highway riding, or slow-speed riding for that matter? In terms of feel and function, I mean.

I find myself wishing for one more gear at high speeds, but in those moments where I'm closer to having her running properly, the twisties in the 50-70mph range are a blast.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Fuzzlewump on July 10, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
I find myself wishing for one more gear at high speeds, but in those moments where I'm closer to having her running properly, the twisties in the 50-70mph range are a blast.
You can't really have both.  Gearing is a compromise.  If you raise your gearing you will drop RPM on the highway, but sporty acceleration will suffer.  It's the same as gears on your push bike, drop a gear and you take off faster, but end up pedal faster, on high gearing you take off slower, but end up pedaling slower. 

Having said that I don't find the rest of world gearing too tall, and could still do with another gear on the long straights.

At 5000 RPM by my calcs with a 120 rear tyre you will be doing around 90km/h on XZ400 gearing,  97Km/h on US gearing, 101km/h on rest of world gearing 

jefferson

You would get more out of the euro gearing more of the time on the hwy. It makes about a 300 rpm difference if I remember right. In the twisties you won't really notice it and if you do you can downshift. I really doubt that you would notice the decrease in acceleration. I ran the euro gears at Daytona, but at all the other tracks I used the regular gears. An old Team Good Times member concured with me so I knew I was on the right track.

Jeff

Rick G

In OR , the roads i rode on  were , for the most part,very twisty and the stock North American "hot rod " gearing.was perfect, Here in AZ  with our long straights ( we have miles and miles of miles!) the 500 rpm drop with the "Euro gears" was welcome.

On my VX, I used a  a 130 ,90 17  tyre to get the same affect ( stock is a 150 70 17)  I finally settled on a 130 70 17 )  Its lower geared than the  90 series tyre and turns in quicker than the  150 monster, which is a pita  to get back into the swing arm..  The 90 series tyre made the bike lean too far on the  side stand and sit a bit too tall for my short legs.
Interestingly They both turned the same RPM at the same speed .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

r1pilot83

Well, I have good news. I cleaned my carbs myself by boiling them and the bike runs GREAT. However, the wrong bike runs great. The XJ750 is back on the road, not the Vision.

ceme24

I am so new I don't know if I should comment, but I think maybe thoughts from another newbie might help.

The Vision carbs seem unique. It takes a special knack and from the limited time I spent trying to find local guys to help you either need someone who works on visions or someone with extensive carb experience from small 1970's Japanese cars.  I have had more than one really good motorcycle carb guy (or I thought they were) not have what I wanted in terms of knowledge on these carbs.

The vision is a really really cool bike that takes names and kicks tail when running well.  Just a fun bike.  Perfect size for me.

It is 30 years old and when stuff happens (it will) it can take a while to fix depending on what it is.  I am 41 and its starting to take longer for stuff to fix on me when it breaks and I have a few physical "nuances" so I can relate to the bike.

I am considering getting a second bike (likely a Suzuki V-strom 650 ABS adventure so I can ride my motorcycle hunting) so I don't lose time on two wheels but the vision cońtinues to expand its place in my heart.

For me the decision is whether I want to take the time, money and energy to learn and maintain a great but under appreciated (especially here state side) bike.  For now I continue to hang out here.  I will see how the vision handles after the valve job and go from there.
CE
1982 Vision

Rikugun

Well put  :) The Vision is unique as are it's carbs and not just any "bike mechanic" can cope with them. Owning any vintage bike will have some down time involved so if you can swing it a second (or third!) bike sure makes sense. If I had my way (and time, space, funds, etc.) I'd have a stable full of varied bikes to ride when the whim strikes.  :D

The V-strom seems like a very popular model and the 650 model engine certainly is well proven.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan