yamaha recall around starter clutch

Started by nzvision, July 24, 2013, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzvision

hi all.
just wondering if anyone knows wether yamaha did a recall notice around the starter clutch issues?
im having a "debate" with my local dealer about whether this is a common issue or not. 

i wish i had found this site before i took the bike in to get checked over.   would have saved me about $900 on new cam chains being done.
please start, please start.  Yippeee I won the lottery. my vision started.

Rick G

Thats a shame , Vision cam chains almost never need replacement . and even it they do, Sunburnedaz has several  sets that are very serviceable.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

nzvision

thanks rick g.   hm. ive got a couple of sets now to.   the ones that cam oit tjat look/feel ok and the ones in the other motor i bought when i was told it was the big end.  although im unsure of thier condition. 

please start, please start.  Yippeee I won the lottery. my vision started.

The Prophet of Doom

I've only seen two TSBs on the XZ550 - there are probably more as these are numbered T0002 and T0010
One was a water leak issue, the other about a knocking sound being the balancer gear nut

Rikugun

Quote from: roro on July 25, 2013, 02:28:02 AM
I've only seen two TSBs on the XZ550 - there are probably more as these are numbered T0002 and T0010
One was a water leak issue, the other about a knocking sound being the balancer gear nut
To find the complete library would be the "Holy Grail" of Vision tech info...  :)

Was the leak at the chrome water tube fittings? What was the resolution?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Most TSBs I've seen state to fix only if customer complains - they aren't general recalls.  If you buy a new bike it would pay to slip the mechanic a few beers to get access.

The leak was at the gasket - They are both on the XZ550 resources thread

You have a leak at the water tube fittings?  I've found over several bike for these to be totally satisfactory and have never even thought about replacing them.  Are you sure you have proper metric o-rings and not an imperial "equivalent" (which of course is not an equivalent at all, but actually the wrong size.)

Rikugun

Quote from: roro on July 25, 2013, 07:20:12 PM
You have a leak at the water tube fittings?  I've found over several bike for these to be totally satisfactory and have never even thought about replacing them.  Are you sure you have proper metric o-rings and not an imperial "equivalent" (which of course is not an equivalent at all, but actually the wrong size.)
A leak developed there shortly after getting mine going back in 2011. AdvRich   claimed this was a common problem when the bike was introduced. I replaced the O-rings (w/Yamaha parts) and have had no problems since.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan