News:

Main Menu

Kiwi WOF rules.

Started by tig5, September 23, 2013, 05:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

Hey Kiwis,

Before I go cutting things up....have any of you guys experienced WOF issues after you've made modifications? Treeeeeedragon perhaps? I was contemplating doing a bit of pruning on my mudguards (front and rear) but then ran into this

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/motorcycles/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/mudguards

Which suggests I'd need some kind of certification for doing that?

I'd be interested and appreciative for any WOF failure stories.

Cheers

dingleberry

I had a Honda (gasp) Hornet 900 which had back mudguards completely removed and sailed through a warrant. There were other things that possibly should not have passed like miniscule indicators, lack of reflectors etc. The WOF chaps I went to were a local garage and the owner/authorized WOF issuer was a bike owner/rider/enthusiast. WOF took 3 minutes. Chit chat took one hour. Very enjoyable process. Check out www.kiwibiker for advice on local bike friendly WOF stations. If you expect problems have provision to strap on temporary mudguard etc which can be removed afterwards. Good luck. Or restrict the vision to 30km/h......

1. A mudguard (Note 1) over a road wheel is missing where it is reasonable and practicable to fit a mudguard, unless the vehicle is:

a) in an unfinished condition legally used under the authority of trade plates, or

b) not capable of exceeding a speed of 30km/h.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Where is the place to take it for just a chit chat? I need to go there! 

As far as the mudguards are concerned, read the regs carefully - you will see you are excluded from needing a cert if the mudguards meet in-service requirements (ie present, not dangerous, entire width coverage)

Unless you want something very weird, you should be fine, but of course you won't be because VTNZ and most bike shops are testing nazis.  You will get WOF issues from mods that do not require certification, and you will sail through stuff that should be certified.

dingleberry

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on September 24, 2013, 05:45:15 AM
Where is the place to take it for just a chit chat? I need to go there! 

Oxford. I won't incriminate them online as I want to continue getting Warrants of Fitness.  ;)
You like, oui?

treedragon

Someone mention my name??  ;D

Yes we do WOF and yes my mudguards are not as they were originally in fact the front one is half the guard it once was...... and the rear, well the whole tail section is a guard, and naturally it has not failed............. even by places other than the shop i work in. The usual comment is something along the lines of "What the f*** is this?.......... XZ 550 of course....... never seen one of these before"

If you actually look around you at the many modern bikes on the road today you will see a multitude of mudguards, all legal and many, particularly the rear are miniscule to the extreme, they are rarely noticed. Most WOF testing stations would not have a clue as to what an original XZ should look like (although i know of one person in one testing station........ and their business has gone through the floor and are beginning to wonder about the phone calls "is such and such there today?") so you would have to be unlucky to strike a rule book freak that knew what an XZ guard should look like....... don't worry about it as P of D says unless of course your name includes Prophet and Doom....... I mean just what sort of attention is that going to attract  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

PS we do chit chat....... and it's a very nice ride from most parts of the country  8)

There is always a way

dingleberry

Hey Treedragon, where are you working? Is it your own shop? I lived in Nelson for about 15 years although I was having a long spell away from bikes at the time. Probably have seen you around. Book me in for my next WOF . Now just to decide which bike to ride up there ;D
You like, oui?

nzvision

speaking of wofs mine is due soon.   however over the weekend i had an oopsie (or 2) after finally getting electrixal issues sorted (i had to admit defeat and send it to boyles kawasaki in wellington.  bloody awesome fellas there)  and i now require a left front indicator and clutch lever.    id like an original one if anyone has a spare lying around ?
please start, please start.  Yippeee I won the lottery. my vision started.

dingleberry

I can help you with the indicator. Free + postage. PM me if you want
You like, oui?

dingleberry

nzvision, finally got around to posting indicator. Check your mail next day or three.
You like, oui?

nzvision

Quote from: dingleberry on November 10, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
nzvision, finally got around to posting indicator. Check your mail next day or three.

great.  thanks heaps for that appreciate it.
please start, please start.  Yippeee I won the lottery. my vision started.

Re-Vision

I may be reading too much between the lines but are the people who administer your WOF inspections overly picky and hard to get along with? Just curious.     BDC

dingleberry

You do have to choose carefully where to go if you want to avoid the power crazy nazis (sorry for the nazi reference iain), and it also helps if you take some treats for their smoko break. I had a mate turned down for a Warrant of Fitness because he had surface rust on his frame.
You like, oui?