News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Just Bought Vision

Started by Bill, February 23, 2014, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I just bought a bone stock 82 Vision that the previous owner said stopped charging, ran the battery down quickly, and never moved again.  I heard it run for a few seconds after a jump from the guy's truck.   Has been setting a couple of years.  32,000 miles total.  Of course I want to get it running again so I can ride.  What should I buy?  Can stator and R/R (soldered together) be removed and tested at a shop?  Before I start throwing money at it I thought I would check this forum for advice.  Thanks in advance.

fret not

Most all your questions will be answered in older threads, though they do get updated from time to time.  Take your time and get familiar with the site, as there is a lot filed away here to go through.  Oh yeah, welcome to the ROV.

You should get a workshop manual, and it's handy to have a few tools for taking things apart and putting them together again.  You will probably need a VOM for testing various electrical components and systems. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Bill on February 23, 2014, 06:33:05 PM
Can stator and R/R (soldered together) be removed and tested at a shop?
Stator is tested while still on the running bike.

Spend the money you would give to a shop on a multimeter.  Testing is not so hard - Check out the electrex fault finding chart (manuals link on my sig)