Vision Mods

Started by Re-Vision, May 08, 2014, 11:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

We all know the common improvement modifications to the Vision, any recommendations as to new mods or better ways of doing the old mods? Reckon I'm bored and looking for something to hold my interest. Surely someone has an interesting mod he would like to add to his Vision.     BDC

fret not

Well, if you need something to think about and puzzle over how about FUEL INJECTION?  It would aid starting, fuel economy, maybe get rid of the famous stumble, and be a good conversation starter in all sorts of situations. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Brand new Mods eh?  Have you done all the old mods already?

I'd have to second Fuel Injection, not that it would be easy, but with microsquirt and others like it, the gear you need is is fairly well defined, accessible and you would need very few machine shop or electronics skills.  It would be great to get a few people all doing the same thing at once and sharing as they go over the net to lessen the workload and fear factor.

A few others spring to mind - rear disk brake, wire wheels, replacement TCI, Everlasting stator, hand beaten fuel tank - but all major exercises.

What about dropping a spare tank off at a rotomolding place and see if you can get plastic tanks made.
Or what about XZ550 Pit shirts for working in the garage.  not a mod but I'd be in for one or two of these.

Re-Vision

I liked your rear wheel disc brake and no I haven't done all the mods.     BDC

pullshocks

pullshocks

My ears always perk up when someone mentions fuel injection conversion....but I see few if any reports on the web of completed, successful examples of converting  carbureted motorcycles to fuel injection.
But it does look possible to mate some throttle bodies up to the existing rubber manifolds.

George R. Young

An excited-field alternator.

The Prophet of Doom

You would be breaking new XZ550 ground with a rear wheel disk brake mods that's for sure.  Here's a Norton conversion:
http://www.accessnorton.com/finally-finished-the-rear-brake-conversion-t2342.html

I was planning one on my bike, but you might beat me to it - I keep getting distracted.

tmyth79

Rear disc conversion is a very real possibility, I have some parts lined up to start on one for mine. When I get it all laid out I will post on my progress.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

jefferson

I have an SRX 600 wheel that needs converted to shaft drive from the chain. It is also wider at 2.5 inches. I am fairly certain it wouldn't be too hard to convert it to shaft, but then I haven't taken it to anyone to have it looked at. Might be easier than putting a disc on the stock rear wheel, but I don't know. I like the extra width, but the Vision wheel is a better looking wheel in my opinion.

tmyth79

I am thinking a XS750 rear wheel, it's already disc and shaft drive, same size tire, and yamaha, should be an easy mod.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

jefferson

There is work to do there. They use a different spline and spacing. I wanted lighter wheels on the xs so I was thinking it might be an easy swap, not.

NITROPOLIS

You got me to get off my butt and check it out.
I'm using rear wheel off xj900. slides right in to drive flange.
machine a spacer. make a mount for a caliper. Modify existing
brake pedal to work with a master cylinder.
Plus xj wheel is wider, so wider tire.
IMHO 3 spoke looks way better than 4.
using front wheel too.

NITROPOLIS

another pic. mocking it up.

fret not

Nice start.  So, how does the radiator fit??? 

I agree about the looks of those wheels, better than the original design.

dingleberry

nitropolis tell us about those upside forks and triple clamp conversion. they really look good.
You like, oui?

tmyth79

NITROPOLIS

Thanks. What started out as a simple cleaning to go on a ride, turned into a complete disassembly
to replaint and refurbish back to original, to adding my own style and upgrades to individualize and increase.
performance. I wanted this bike to be a father son project, but him being 18 and graduating school, it was
the last thing on his mind. Thank God he found the Air Force, and a drive and a purpose for is life. Now he is in
Quatar. and I miss him so I am putting this together in honor of him in hopes we can ride, when he gets
back.  Anyway, the forks are 2002 YZF R1 units, triple tree is from same year and model. I just got the lower
triple tree last week (Ebay). So far I've just mocked it up to see how close things fit and what modifications
I will need to make to make it work, and make it safe. The fork tubes are shorter than the stock units.
I will have to make a top bracket that will allow me to run the forks lower, to get the ride height correct.
Also i need to take into account the change in rake and trail. For the rear of the bike Im going to run a rear shock
from a 2013 YZF R1. Also shorter than stock with a softer spring. I will make a mount to compensate for the shorter
shockand alow me to run the shock with the reservoir towards the top. Also going to run a weber 40IDF.
I have a Mac exhaust system I bought from Rick G. thank you again Rick. Things are going a little slow, but I'm in no
rush. Still have 2 girls in high school. and a BMW K75s that take up my time.

fret not

It will be interesting to see your Weber process.  Probably significantly easier than fuel injection.  I went looking on the internet for Weber 40IDF and found them less expensive from the distributor than from eBay sellers.  'bout $250USD

I found a set of forks from a '89 FZR 1000 that I thought would work nicely but the distance from the steering stem to the fork leg centers  (set back) is too short and they foul the radiator.  It seems most modern bikes have fairly short set back. 

I'm thinking the set up from the factory with the offset lugs at the bottom of the fork sliders and the longer off set of the triple clamps is precisely because of radiator clearance.  Oh, and tank too.  The vision tank is pretty wide up front compared to many others.

cobol74

This is a parts bike a bought last summer from a guy in Milwaukee,

It has a 1987 FZ600 front end, fairing and subframe.

The history of the bike is unkown, It was completely safety-wired.

It looks like it was raced.

Front wheels on the 86-88 fz600 are 16 incher's.

Doesn't seem to be a radiator clearance problem