Stator cover repair

Started by dingleberry, May 16, 2014, 04:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

Not from a Vision, but good to know.
Triumph Daytona low-side ground stator cover substantially and a couple of holes.
Enter "POR Patch". One toothpaste type tube $28NZ. Quarter used and rest will keep in tube as long as cap is on.
Impervious to heat, oil, fuel etc, remains "flexible" although rock hard. Was able to sand even though they say it's difficult to sand. Used emery cloth and a bit of patience, not too bad. Takes up to four days to fully cure. Only mistake I made was gooping it on too thick (on the inside where difficult to work, I used an iceblock/icelolly stick) and as it cured it contracted leaving cracks. Filled these with another application and all good. Used a bit of flexible card to apply on outside for less finishing work and no cracks. Just used a bit of card to back holes initially while gooping.
This stuff is fantastic, so easy and clean. It can also be used to bond pieces together, wood, metal, plastic, allsorts. Considered using for fixing my fairing but have plastic welder being shipped to me (aliexpress.com).
Get a tube, you won't regret it. ;)

You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Why would you do that when you have a AC/DC Tig in your shed? 
If you aren't going to use it, then drop it round here.

dingleberry

Still have not got the wiring done in shed. Sparky has installed 20A CB on board but I have yet to wire it. Besides I don't have all the gear for alloy yet, lots of practice to do, didn't want to botch it up, too many holes, ground paper thin in places, dog ate my homework etc.
Phone me when you come out to use it and I'll get some steaks out for lunch ;D.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Fair enough, and cast alloy is about the hardest aluminium to weld as well so a little practice wouldn't hurt.

Meat !!! nom nom nom

pinholenz

Brilliant!! I didn't think that POR products were available in New Zealand so I never bothered to look. Looks like that's another job to do this winter.

Has anyone used their paint on a bike frame?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I used POR15 and blackcoat on my old frame. 
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13508.msg124082#msg124082

It goes on fairly well with a small brush as it self levels so doesn't leave brush marks.  You just need to take care not to get too thick in the corners which will dribble.    Cost $NZ100 in paint and stripper, but later when I decided to use my other (registered) frame instead, it was only $120 for powder coating and blasting to the the metal, zero effort, and a better finish.