Another one bites the dust

Started by Fuzzlewump, May 24, 2014, 03:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzlewump

Well, my run with the Vision is over, and I feel very relieved. This morning on my way to work my bike caught fire and burned to a crisp in seconds flat. My left foot also caught fire, but miraculously I got away with nothing more than a couple slight burns on that foot. The V however, is absolutely trashed.

It took this much for me to realize that I can't go on dumping money into a vehicle that gives so little return. In the past year and a half I have become obsessed with trying to get this machine to run well, and now I can rest knowing I did all I could.

Doing some routine maintenance on her last night, I replaced my fuel lines and fuel cutoff valve with new parts. Everything was clean and tight, took her for a test run and all was fine. Double-checked it this morning before leaving and everything was looking good again. At some point a fitting or hose clamp must have failed, allowing fuel to leak and ignite on the exhaust. No one here is an idiot, but I'm going to say it anyways: make sure your fuel delivery is in proper order!! I can tell you that when a bike goes up in flames it happens incredibly fast. I'm fortunate to be alive and not disfigured right now. And I'm one of those meticulous, anal types who goes over everything three times.

I understand that a lot of you are very fond of the Vision and I respect that. For me, it was an extremely problematic machine that never rewarded hard work for more than a day or two at a time. I'm glad to be rid of it, and seriously doubt I'll ever touch one again. But I wouldn't know that if I hadn't taken it this far.

If I can, I'll post pics. Anyhow, I learned a ton from this project, and I thank you all for your help. Fuzz is out like a fat kid in dodgeball.

Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Fuzzlewump

Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Rikugun

Most Visionaries that have "had enough" simply sell their bike and walk away. In contrast, you sir have a flair for the dramatic.  :)   Seriously though, glad you're OK and sorry your Vision experience wasn't more positive.  Also a really good reminder to pay extra attention when making repairs to the fuel system.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

" border="0

fiat-doctor

So sorry to see this....  I'm glad you are ok.

fret not

That does look rather final.  And there you have another close call to add to your life story.  How far away from home were you when this happened?  Rather inconvenient, I'd say.  Glad you're OK.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pullshocks

Holy crap.  Incredible.  Thank goodness you were not badly injured.

I have had a couple fuel leak episodes, but fortunately did not ignite.

The Prophet of Doom

A timely warning for Vision owners.  If you can smell fuel, then you have this to look forward to.

don_vanecek

Oh man oh man,  sure hate to see this, glad you are OK. 
Well hope it doesn't scare you off motorcycles, there are many, many others!

vadasz1

At least you don't have to paint the engine black now. ;D

Glad your OK. 

I guess it can now star in the next MAD MAX movie too.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

dingleberry

Since this is a farewell to a forum member I will join in if for no other reason but to keep you coming back to read replies.
You will always be able to tell people it was a flaming good bike.
The main thing is you were not hurt, they are still making bikes and by the way what have you got your eye on for your next ride? All the best.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Well, it's official - not too soon for humor! I agree vadasz1, the motor does look good "murdered out" in soot black.

Just an observation, on the third picture showing the left side it appears the R/R got hot. Probably want to keep an eye on that.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I don't know that it's appropriate to make dreadful puns about his hotrod vision.

fret not

". . the R/R unit got hot . ."  What gives you that impression? 8)

Rikugun

The plug was a little bit melted.   :P

fret not

George R. Young

And here I thought it would be the alternator that caused the fire.

dingleberry

His Vision was a smoking hot bike, with smouldering good looks, blistering speed. It ignited a spark in me, my heart was ablaze with passion for this flash bike. I will always give it glowing reviews for it was a machine that was easily coaxed into a burnout.  ;D
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Not bad, sir. Not bad.     ;)