News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

same old tire question, what do you like?

Started by drtaco, June 02, 2014, 07:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtaco

sorry to bring up a question that has probably been asked a couple billion times :-[ but I am still waiting for the bro-in-law to get me a title to the vision, I won't put any more money into it (maybe ;) ), but when I do get a title(any day now >:( ) it will need tires, from searching I found that most like bridgestonebattle ax and avon roadriders. they are mid to good grade? I saw something about a contential. like most people I don't want to go cheap, but I don't want to break the bank. I do have a dr200 that I have Dunlop 404's on, I guess I really can't complain got 5,000+miles and seem ok. any input?

fret not

It just boils down to personal preference.  Choose the tread style for the type of riding you will be doing, and don't put tires on that are too big.  Remember, the tires are your only contact with the pavement, assuming you do things correctly.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I got my bike with the BS Battlax tires on it. They were old and worn but still seemed to work OK. At the same time my (other brand) 550 had a new set of Avon Road Riders and I loved them. The rear did seem to have it's profile altered quickly through normal wear. Normal wear for me is no burnouts but occasional spirited riding with whatever acceleration forces a 60HP 550 can muster. I do little-to-no rear braking other than downshifting.

When I replaced the Vision tires I tried Michelin Pilot Activ's. The compound was advertised as being geared more towards longer life/touring. I've found them to be plenty grippy but they are wearing better than the Avon's. I'd get either brand again.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

I put Dunlop 404's on my '82 Seca (at the recommendation of my local bike shop) and was quite happy with them. The tread pattern looked nice too. I believe that the rims were just about the same size as the Vision. If I were putting new rubber on my Vision today, that's what I'd get.

I just put Dunlop Roadsmart II's on the Buell. So far so good. I definitely like the way they feel better than the stock Pirelli's, but they had a strange profile to begin with, the rubber was 6 years old, and they'd worn a flat stripe from all of the exciting straight roads around here, so it's not really a fair comparison. I also did balance beads this time, so that might be contributing to how much better they feel too.

It depends a great deal on your riding style, and what kind of mileage you expect out of them. I'd compare the offerings from Dunlop, Michelin, and Bridgestone. That's my "go to" top 3.

The Prophet of Doom

I like the battleaxes, I did have 120R/100F.  They behave nicely from cold and  resist tracking seams in the road.  I don't ride enough for wear to be a big factor.   For my rebuild I've swapped out the front to a 110 - yet to see how that will go.
Pirelli Sport demons are about the same price and are supposed to be a bit more grippy but at higher temperatures

I've had bad experiences with the cheapies Cheng Shin and Shinko, though Treedragon rates the Shinko and he rides a lot more than I

dingleberry

Shinko definite no go zone. Although they do handle and grip ok there has been lots of trouble with the tyres splitting open. I have been told by my tyre dealer that they (Shinko) do not come to the party easily. I love the Avon roadrunners on by BSA (similar power to weight) but no experience on the Vision. 
You like, oui?