News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New member here

Started by vl5150, June 04, 2014, 04:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

New member and I picked up a 1982 Vision last Friday.  I see some pretty cool potential for the bike, but I need to go through it and sort it all out.

Carbs of course are a train wreck.  I cleaned them last Friday + added a fuel filter and made it worse as there's a vacuum leak somewhere.  Exhaust is rusted out too.

So with that, I got the keyster kits today, a spare carb set, and the MAC pipes.  I spend today removing the carbs and getting E-Z outs for the frozen pilot screws.
I also took out the MAC baffle and put some silencer packing in there.  Waiting on the exhaust gaskets then I'll tackle that install.

I have the unaided flap on the air box so there's a vacuum airbox on the way as well as a haynes manual, factory manual, brake pads, SS brake line.  I'll need to work out the jetting.  There's posts all over the place on that, so I'm going to start with the 135's up top and leave the lower jets and pilot stock for now.

So far I like the looks of the bike and it really handles well and wants to drop down low.  Comfort is good too.  Engine has hints of greatness, but I got to get the carb issues out of the way 1st.  I got the bucket of carb cleaner waiting for me in the garage.

Rikugun

Welcome to the forum and congrats on acquiring the Vision.  Not many members mention in their introduction they have a manual on order (let alone two!) so you have my attention.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

This bike is the latest in a long line of projects so I know the game and the manuals are key.  Of course like all of the old bikes I have picked up cheap, the previous owner just didn't know how to keep carbs clean and sort out the jetting.

The Prophet of Doom

Welcome.
Since you are too embarrassed to say where you come from I'd have to assume somewhere in Australia

dingleberry

You like, oui?

Re-Vision

Surely not from Texas or he would have told us. Why are you trying to embarrass him?     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Not trying to embarrass him - just a fun way of asking where he's from.

Re-Vision

You missed my point, it will embarrass him that he's not from Texas.     BDC

vl5150

Too busy turning wrenches to answer. I'm in S. FL.

Let's see...I recently installed the MAC exhaust since the stock exhaust was really rusted through on the bottom.  I put dirtbike packing in the baffles so it barks, but it's not too bad.  Also, did the radiator flush and installed a galfer front brake line and front pads last night.

Dunked the carbs and added automotive fuel filter.  Bike is good down low, but way too rich up top.  I have some jets and will do some playing.  I have a wideband O2 sensor in my car.  I may pull it out to see what the Vision is doing, but I think I can do it the old way.

vl5150

I made some progress today.   Some impressions..

The bike only has 2500 miles, but it's been sitting so lots to sort out.

Bike seems to like 135's up top and a 115/120 main.  Pilots are too rich so I'll tune the screws tomorrow.  Still a bit too rich on WOT somehow.

Using the blue coolant from the bike shop put an end to the heat problems.  Never sent above 1/2 way on the heat-o-gauge.

I put on a galfer SS brake line and new pads up front.  Brakes work much better.  Lots of dirt in the master cylinder orifice that new fluid has to flush out.

Great being able to re-jet without removing the carbs. 

Overall I think the bike is interesting as hell and is responding positively to the changes.  I'll do the gear oil tomorrow and mess with the pilot a bit.

Clutch needs to be adjusted too.  Manual had the procedure and doesn't look too bad. 

I have a change of clothes on the way too.  Got a NOS set of bodywork on the way from Germany right down to the gas tank.  Yes, I'm all in on this bike.