News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

I'm new here.

Started by PierreleGrand, June 09, 2014, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PierreleGrand

Hello to everyone,

I've been browsing the forum for about 6 weeks now.  I picked up an '82 Vision (for free) from a friend and am slowly but surely getting things worked over on it.  It wasn't running when I got it, and probably won't be for another month.  I've been going through everything that I am capable of, and am lucky enough to have a friend that is a professional mechanic, so we''ll be going through the motor in the next couple of weeks.  Here's a picture of the bike when I got it, along with one of it in it's current state.  I need to get a new clutch for it.  Have any of you purchased a full used assembly from eBay?  If so, what was your experience?  Would you recommend getting a new set of plates?  The forum seems like a great place to find info.  I'll keep this updated as the work progresses.  Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. 

dingleberry

Welcome. Judging by your photos you are on the other side of the world from me. There are many low km Visions around so I expect that 2nd hand clutch would be acceptable with a clean up of the plates. Potential problem may be that a previous owner used wrong oil. If you intend keeping buy new since you got for free anyway.
You like, oui?

fret not

It's nice you have a pro mechanic for a friend!  He should know how to check the condition of the clutch plates and other parts.  Otherwise consult your shop manual for specs.

Welcome to the XZ affliction. :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting before/after pics.

Just curious why you are replacing the clutch as they often out last the bike? Ebay usually has many Vision parts or maybe someone here. Keep the updates coming.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

As Rik said, V clutches are very long lived.  Again, why do think you've got some kind of clutch issue?  My OEM unit went 72k miles before requiring replacement.

PierreleGrand

Hey guys,

I guess I should have specified.  I'm replacing the clutch because there is currently no clutch in the bike.  The friend I got it from, who left it in her garage for who knows how long, was told by its previous owner that he was going to replace it, but never got around to it. 

As of yesterday, everything is stripped except the motor, which will be coming off and getting taken apart in the coming days/couple of weeks.  Everything else seems to be in decent condition other than the rear exhaust pipes.  I have also soaked the inside of the fuel tank with apple cider vinegar, along with sanding the exterior of the tank.  The ACV removed a decent amount of rust.  Have any of you done that before?  I also soaked a few random parts in the vinegar and it seems to do a good job of removing surface rust.  The motor is going to need a THOROUGH cleaning, as there is oil everywhere.  I'm assuming the gaskets will (must!) be replaced.  More news on that soon.

PierreleGrand

Here's another question. Is the owner of the bike in this pic on the forum? I'm not looking to go too crazy on mods, but I do like the shorter frame/seat on this. Also, do you guys think he left the mono-shock in and then added the two side shocks for aesthetic purposes/more support or is there a a big mod there to get the dual shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Prophet of Doom

Don't know who the builder is, I don't think he's on here...

If you look carefully you will notice the side "shocks" go from the frame to the exhaust mounts.  That position has nothing to do with rear wheel travel.  The short seat will just be a cut & weld.  Any competent welder can help you with that.  The headlight could be achieved with a bolt on & 35mm brackets from ebay; likewise the clip-ons (which will reduce turning greatly) - you just have to cut off the stock riser with a hacksaw and drill /tap mirror mounts.  The paint is just paint.

A big difference in looks, but could be done in a long weekend.

PierreleGrand

Thanks. I noticed he removed the rear pegs and that's where the shocks are. Thus the question about support vs. aesthetics. Not sure why you'd do it other than it looks more classic... I wouldn't be putting clip ons on, I'd be going for a more upright, tracker almost MX bar setup. Soon enough hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBS

There is no accounting for personal taste.  Everyone is entitled to their own take on things.  However, difference for the sole sake of difference is a bad plan.

Rikugun

Quote from: PierreleGrand on June 11, 2014, 04:40:02 PM
I wouldn't be putting clip ons on, I'd be going for a more upright, tracker almost MX bar setup. Soon enough hopefully.

There is a tracker build currently in progress you may be interested in reading about.
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15033.0
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan