News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Timing out after removing cam chain tensioner.

Started by tig5, June 09, 2014, 11:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

Hey guys,

I foolishly removed the cam chain tensioner before attempting to check my valve clearances. Then when I rotated the engine to find TDC the chain has jumped and it is now locked :(

Do I need to remove the cams now and line everything up from scratch? I have a copy of the Haines manual but I'm new to timing on Vs and a bit unsure what my first move should be. If I remove the cams can I then find TDC for the front cylinder and reassemble as per the Haines manual?

fret not

Did you drop anything into the opening?  A washer or nut or bolt can cause machinery to jam if lodged in a critical place.  Or are you sure it is the cam chain that is wadded up?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

tig5

Pretty sure it's the chain. As I was turning the engine I saw it bouncing.

The Prophet of Doom

So you are probably hitting the piston with a valve.  Don't stress it's easily fixed.  You can remove the cams if you want to, but it's probably not necessary.  Don't force anything, just back it off a bit with your spanner on the crank. 

You'll need to get the cams back so the alignment marks on the cams are right when the marks on the flywheel are set.  With the tensioner off you can lift the chain and slip the cams round a tooth or two, then rotate the crank a bit - the idea is to keep the cam lobes off the buckets while you rotate the crank counter clockwise till it's in the right place, then rotate the cams for final alignment.  If you miss, then go right round again.

Use the alignment marks on the cam, not on the sprocket.  Although they are harder to see you'll be surer of a good alignment

tig5

Thanks POD that sounds like good advice. One more question....how do I get the cam chain tensioner back in and what is it's orientation? Do I need to remove the bolt on the head of it to stop it automatically expanding?

Thanks

The Prophet of Doom

Use your finger as a tensioner while you are setting the cams up.

To replace you have to unscrew the nut, then flip up the little ratchet thingy and push the plunger back in.
Re-install the plunger part first, then the nut and spring to drive the plunger outwards and take up the slack on the chain.

motoracer8

There are dots, timing marks on the cams, that line up with pointers on the cam caps. The chains wear so they probably won't line up perfectly but they need to be very close.

Better a tiny bit advanced than late. Pistons can hit exhaust valves.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Jimustanguitar

When I was playing with cam chains last, I noticed that they can bind up underneath the crank gear. Take out the spark plugs to reduce the compression that you have to fight (and to check if you're  bound up at TDC) and then see if you can wiggle the crank back and forth to free up the cam chain.