News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Can I put panniers on my Vision?

Started by jordancjordanc, July 18, 2014, 06:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordancjordanc

Hi,

I just got a 1982 vision, my first motorcycle, and am wondering if I can put panniers on it. I see a small bar on the side under the seat that might accommodate a pannier, but am not sure.

Thanks,

Jordan

sunburnedaz

Yes I have soft bags on my 82. I had to made some brackets to adapt the visions mounting locations to the locations of the doner bikes bags.

There were some companies that made universal bags that would have different kits to adapt them to different bikes. Not sure if any of them still make kits for our bikes though.  :(
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

jordancjordanc

Anyone have any photographs of panniers on Visions?

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Leaf through the gallery on this site, or xz550.de 
I think the vintage krauser K2 look the best.

Rikugun

Hepco & Becker offered pannier frames a few years back when I was looking.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

I installed a set of Krauser hard bags on to my Vision several years back. The rack/bags came off of an old crashed Virago that I found in a bike wreckers. They were not a straight fit and needed a couple of brackets fabricated...not rocket science  ;)

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Jirik

I have German cases system Schuh . They don't look on XZ so well, but they are very solid and bulky (about 30 litres).

http://jawamania.info/tree/images.aspx?rootid=247754&nodeid=251278

As said POD, Krauser look the best.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pullshocks

jordancjordanc

The Prophet of Doom

That's a Krauser frame.  Do you have the matching boxes?  The mountings are all very specific.

The Krauser frames will fit, but the arms are all different lengths and bends to suit different bikes.  In your pic the connecting arms top front look to long for the vision.  You'll probably need to re-bend and drill them to suit.  They go to where the handle to put it on the stand is, and there's a matching threaded but unused tab on the frame on the other side. (You'll need to get a metric bolt for it) I ended up shaving a little off the underseat plastics to get some more clearance, but not strictly necessary.

The lower arms go to the pillion footrest screw.  Again, these may need adjusting to fit, depending on the prior bike.  Mine fitted fine.

The rear bolts to the rear mudguard

By adjusting the arm lengths I mounted mine on a jaunty angle which looked better, I removed the top-box part, and mounted this on my ventura pack frame, so I could choose between pack or top-box.

No pics sorry, and the bike is now nude.

jordancjordanc

Yes, the cases match. Thanks for the tips.

Seller is asking $400 for frames and cases. Is this reasonable?

The Prophet of Doom

jordancjordanc

kwells

The Virago had a set of hard bags that fits on with some tweaking...

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com