News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Ignition always on in any key position

Started by VisionaryDan, August 02, 2015, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionaryDan

I have a strange problem where the ignition is always on no matter what position the key switch is located. The only way to shut off the ignition is to pull the main fuse. I swapped out the key switch with another and problem still remains. If I try to start the bike it blows the main fuse. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
Dan

VisionaryDan

I found a previous post that suggested that the plug on the TCI was swapped out with the r/r plug - that was the problem. The pain is I already swapped in my spare TCI - I hope that I didn't blow it out. Need to re-assemble the bike to see if it starts. I checked ebay no replacement TCI available right now.   

skucera

At least you found the answer here before we could chip in a suggestion.  Let's hope that you didn't damage either TCI.

Scott

fret not

2 or 3 years ago I sent my old TCI unit to Tiger in Canada and exchanged for a refurbished one.  He had someone local to him that was fixing the old ones, so Tiger could keep a unit on hand for someone in need.  I don't know if he is still offering an exchange like this but it can't hurt to ask.

Also there is the Ignitech company in the Czech Republic offering new units of various types, and they apparently can provide a unit for the XZ550.  The Ignitech products seem to get good comments from racers, and their prices are quite reasonable. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

TCI boxes are often listed as an "ignitor" rather than a TCI
There's one on ebay now, just don't open this link with your mouth full

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XZ550-82-83-IGNITOR-UNIT-ASSEMBLY-NOS-OEM-11H-82305-10-00-/400962915166?hash=item5d5b408b5e&vxp=mtr

VisionaryDan

Do you have a website or a contact number for Tiger in Canada?

The Prophet of Doom

Tiger

Quote from: VisionaryDan on August 03, 2015, 01:40:57 PM
Do you have a website or a contact number for Tiger in Canada?

Sorry but I sold all mine...

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

VisionaryDan

I was able to fix both my original and spare TCI. A trace on the circuit board blew out on both and I was able to solder a lead across the break. I got spark and the bike started right up after 3 years of sitting.  The only thing noticeably not working is the tack. Is the tack connected to the TCI? Or could I have blown out the tack when I had it wired in correctly?

Thanks,
Dan