Switched to Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery

Started by vl5150, September 02, 2015, 08:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

I've been picking Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for my powersports toys and it was the Vision's turn yesterday.  This one fits from Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LPJ8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery

These batteries are much, much, lighter than lead acid batteries and much smaller as well.  They have foam spacers to make up the difference.  Besides the weight, they hold charge much better and are advertised to last much longer.  It was pumping more juice into the starter as well based on my ear for the RPM's.  My newer AGM battery voltage was down around 11.8v and I know the Vision's stator is sensitive to that.

It looks like they have poor cold start characteristics, but I'm in FL so it doesn't apply to me.  If the amps aren't there for a cold start, they recommend heating up the battery by leaving the ignition on for a while to warm up the battery. YMMV

I picked up the battery tender special charger for these kind of batteries as well in a previous purchase. 

So far I'm happy with this battery in a few other toys and plan on getting the smaller size for my RD350 next.  IMO, most lead acid batteries on the market these days are junk and need to be replaced more frequently and I'm sick of doing this.  In comparison the OEM Yuasa battery made in Japan lasted 11 years in my ZRX1100.  So it's cool to me to try out interesting new technology.

devotee

I have had a Shorai Batteries in my Vision and XS750 for over 3 years. So far so good. You are right about the cold weather.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

dpequip

I put a Li-Ion battery in the Vision a year ago.  I've owned the Vision since it came of of the crate 31 years ago, it has never started this easily.  The Li battery delivers amps and makes the starter spin a little faster resulting in easier starts hot of cold.  From now on Li batteries is all I am going to buy.  If you can't tell I am very pleased.
1982 Yamaha Vision Owned Since New.
Mods:Euro Primary Gear set, Euro footpegs & controls, Yamaha 1/4 Fairing, Braided Stainless lines, Forkbrace, Tapered roller bearings in steering, '83 rear Shock

Lucky

OK, so I have questions about this...
From what I've read, they don't use the stock charging system, correct? Of not then you simply use the matching charger (110v)? Or does the stock system help keep it charged?

If the stock system cannot be used it could be deleted: stator and R/R saving weight, engine heat, oil drag and magnetic drag...

How long/miles will the bike go between charges, and how long to recharge?
How do you guage the state of remaining charge?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fret not

I seem to recall a pic someone posted a year or two ago of their Vision lying by the roadside all burnt because a lithium battery went exothermic and started a fire while he was riding it. 

I just read some information re lithium ion batteries and fire issues, mainly aimed at fire suppression and prevention.  Don't dent them, heat them, over charge them, etc.  The electrolyte in them is also quite flammable. 

I think the main danger in regular use would be from overcharging caused by a failed voltage regulator, or from an inappropriate external battery charger.  Otherwise they seem to be a great improvement over the heavy old lead acid batteries. :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Lucky on November 17, 2015, 11:38:30 PM
OK, so I have questions about this...
From what I've read, they don't use the stock charging system, correct? Of not then you simply use the matching charger (110v)? Or does the stock system help keep it charged?

If the stock system cannot be used it could be deleted: stator and R/R saving weight, engine heat, oil drag and magnetic drag...

How long/miles will the bike go between charges, and how long to recharge?
How do you guage the state of remaining charge?
Generally you can use the stock charging system no problem, BUT they can burst into flames if overcharged (15VDC+), so perhaps a Volt meter would be recommended.
Shorai batteries can be charged if flat with a regular charger as long as it doesn't have a high voltage anti-sulphation mode.  the Shorai charger will balance cells which doesn't happen using the vehicle's charging system or a regular charger.
Ultrabatt have built in have built-in circuits to balance and prevent overcharging, so should be good regardless of how charged.

You could run total loss, BUT LiFe batteries dislike being drained to zero volts even more than the lead acid types - it's recommended by the manufacturer not to do this.  I think the distance to run between charges with total loss should be the same as a lead acid as the amp/hour is the same - 14A/h - I believe 2-3hrs on the Vision but have not done this to verify.

They recharge really quickly.  My Shorai went from almost totally dead to indicated (on the charger) as fully charged inside an hour.

I don't know how you test the charge state other than the 100% charged LED on the charger. I was told by the dealer thst the voltage is a poorer indication on LiFe than on a Pb battery as the curve is much flatter.