News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Coil Question

Started by turbosteve84, May 26, 2016, 02:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

OK, I'm down from the euphoria of getting the Motogadget gauge to work on my Visioné Café Racer project. Now some serious questions from my electrics guy...

1) Why are both sides of the coil 12V positive with the key (ignition) turned on?

2) Why do all four turn signals come on with the ignition turned on yet they don't flash?

3) It's too hot here in the Northeast US for my usual snarky 3rd question.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Yes, hot in NJ today but not too hot for snarky - here's proof:  Boy, you guys sure did mess up the wiring on that poor ol' Vision....   ;)

Did you check theses prior to the Motogadget and wiring or did this just get noticed?

For item one I think that is normal. Item two doesn't sound normal - I'd check your wiring.  ;D On the other hand, if you could get them to flash you'd have hazards like on my Kawasaki.

EDIT: Did you mean all 4 come on when the key is on (w/o touching the TS switch) with no flashing or you can you get both sides  to light when the switch is engaged for that direction but with no flash?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

1) Coil voltages.  Here is what Leather has to say about it
Quote from: Leather
The coil gets a +12 volt input direct FROM the battery (via ignition sw). It is grounded (the circuit completed) BY the TCI. The TCI transistor switches "OFF" the coil ground to collapse the coil and cause the secondary coil winding to spark. If you test the Gray (or Orange) wire FROM (that's right... from!) the coil you'll see +12 volts. If you look at the TCI pin you'll see near ground until the fire signal. Then the TCI actually pulses a +12 volts at the pin. This is a "forceful" way of "cutting"off the PRIMARY wire ground and forcing the SECONDARY winding spark.

Disconnect the 6-Prong plug from the TCI module, Key ON, and check at the plug:
RED/WHITE striped = +12volts = power for TCI
BLACK = -12 ground = ground for TCI and pickups
ORANGE = +12v = power from Front cylinder coil primary winding
GRAY = +12v = power from Rear cylinder coil primary winding
BLACKWHITE = side stand relay wire. Should NOT be ground or +12 (side stand up! ).
YELLOW/BLACK = Rev limiter wire. Cut this + tape ends. Should NOT be grounded

2) Have you replaced your flasher bulbs with LED?  If so then my guess is you haven't put load resistors in. You need these with the stock flasher if you are running LED. 
Otherwise no idea.

3) ?