News:

Main Menu

Fuse Box Photo

Started by turbosteve84, July 13, 2016, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

Can someone with a US MODEL Vision please take a clear photo of their STOCK fuse box and post it here? (with the cover off, of course, showing the wires connected to the fuses). Or email it to me at saddlebums "at" verizon.net.

Thank you,
Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Jirik

I think, that is the same as german model 11U.
There is mine original box:

and new box

turbosteve84

Wow! Talk about mission accomplished. That's going above and beyond, Jirik! Thank you.

I see from the fuse box wiring that both schematics I've seen (Haynes, Yamaha) are wrong.

I'm trying to diagnose a non-working headlight. My wiring guy hooked up a "horseshoe" type fuse box and I wasn't sure he had the wiring correct. This confirms that it is.

I've diagnosed a faulty dimmer switch on the left handlebar. Ordered a used one from eBay (new are not available). I hope that does it.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

QuoteI see from the fuse box wiring that both schematics I've seen (Haynes, Yamaha) are wrong.

OH NO, say it isn't so!  What is the schematic discrepancy? I wouldn't take the fuse box labels too literally, the "Signal" one in particular. The brown I consider "system power" as everything short of the cooling fan can be traced back to that circuit.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Well, here's the Yam service manual fuse box hookup (my local MC shop supplied me with this). Look at the headlight fuse wiring. R/Y and Brown to fuse, then the Brown splices into a R/W. The Haynes is also inconsistent on this.

I diagnosed a faulty left-handlebar dimmer switch for the cause of my headlight not working, but I'm not confident in my diagnostics. I think I'll just run a wire from the headlight fuse to the signal fuse.

Steve

Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

fret not

There is supposed to be a headlight fuse in the mass of wiring in the "rubber" container just behind the headlight.  Have you checked for it?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Running a wire from the headlight fuse to the signal fuse will do precisely nothing.  It certainly won't help your headlight switch problem.

Your pic is correct - just a bit hard to read because it's a circuit diagram and the wires aren't in the same location as they are in real life. 

Red comes off the battery, through the MAIN 30A fuse then red wire off to the key switch.
When the Key switch is on, this powers up a brown wire.

The brown wire from the key switch splits inside the loom into brown, redyellow, redwhite to feed all three fuses.

It's quite tricky to pull switches apart and clean them but they can all be serviced if you are patient and can take care of small parts.  Oh, and the fuse in the headlight bucket is for the fan.

See pic for headlight diagnostic...

turbosteve84

The fuse inside the headlight shell is the radiator fan fuse, at least according to page 158 of the Haynes Service Manual, figure 33.2c. I found this out when tackling my latest problem -- the rad fan won't go on.

I put a little loop of wire between the headlight fuse and the ignition fuse and voila! (as they say in Italy), the headlight and high beam are now working. Since then I've been advised to run the loop from the headlight fuse to the turn signal fuse. Why? If there's a problem with the headlight blowing out it won't take out the ignition and I'm walking home; it will just take out the turn signals and I'm using hand signals. Remember those?

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Walt_M.

Umm, your headlight problem may be related to the starter relay. If you have it tied elsewhere, it may not cut off when you hit the starter. Be careful when making temporary connections at your fuse box. You do not want to tie two fuses to the same load, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a fuse. Always remember, a blown fuse is not the problem. A blown fuse indicates you have a problem.
Whale oil beef hooked!