Main Menu

vision top speed

Started by clarence, November 06, 2002, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarence

hi there, I purchased a vision in august 2002 & am very happy with it, however the top speed is 165 kph & I was wondering if this was a bit under its potential. I owned a cx 500 & it had greater acceleration in the high rev power band. I have always been a shaft drive water cooled freak & would have a vmax if I could afford one but I would like to know if my vision is performing properly?  thanks.

zvberkov

;D

Hi Clarence,

According to the performance chart, which you can see at the bottom of my listing "1982 Yamaha Vision for sale"

http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.cgi?board=swap_shop;action=display;num=1036233118

the top speed of a Yamaha Vision is 180.8 kph.

Keep in mind that your bike is older and would have some engine wear, and the bike needs to be in perfect tune to achieve maximum performance.  In my opinion, I think the bike will even do faster than this speed, but that is the "official" number.

Zev
Toronto, Canada

Rick G

Hi Clarence,
All 1982 US Visions (xz550RJ) had the federaly mandated 85 mph speedo,  so its anyones guess.
I have been working on a chart to check speedo accuracy through the measured mile , I would appreacate  any corrections  on this from those who are better at math, than I.

120 secs = 30 mph
90secs= 45 mph
60 secs=60 mph
45 secs = 90mph
30 secs = 120 mph
I know that 60 mph is 1 mile per min.  the rest is extrapolation. Anyone,  feel free to jump in

I timed mine on the measured mile at an indicated 60 mph at 55 secs. so on my bike 60 mph indicated  is  70mph actual  and 70 indicated is past 80mph actual , indicated 85 is around 100 mph.
I've also noticed the when it indicates  35 in a 40 mph zone  I am paceing the traffic. So it would seem that the faster I go  the greater the error.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zvberkov

Well,

Perhaps the US bikes don't have a proper speedo, but the Canadian bikes show speeds well up into the 240 kph range.

clarence

I too have a sneaking supicion that my vision speedo is out. I am always passing cars when sitting on 100kph. btw I am in australia. I think the top speed is closer to 175 kph but I will test it out alonside a car this weekend. digressing, I noticed today that the main & air jets for visions imported to australia are the same front and rear 125 for the air jets and I'm not sure about the mains but probably 127.5. When I asked the local bike shop for 135 air jets the sales dude said it would make the bike run crappy, but I'll give it a go anyway.
thanks for the help.

zvberkov

What I use to measure actual speeds is a Rand McNally GPS for my Palm III computer.

Once you have acquired 5 sattelites, it will accurately give you your speed down to 1/10th of a km.

I bought the GPS on Ebay for $25.

BTW, how is the weather in Australia this time of year?  I am thinking about taking a vacation, and I've never been to your continent.

clarence

today was rather hot & stinky, about 35 degrees C , good riding weather but was getting a custom paint job on the vision today, deep maroon metallic looks ok. now I"ve gotta figure out a way to attach the headlight cos I"ve got rid of the fairing. Fork clamps I suppose and custom made brackets. Digressing again, for anyone interested my reg/rec was stuffed when I bought the bike & I had a spare yamaha rd 250 unit , wired it in & it charges perfectly [so far]. I believe many 3 phase motorcycle reg/recs will interchange so long as you get the wiring correct. The dealers & mechanics will usually tell you otherwise but.

George R. Young

On the subject of using the RD250 regulator/rectifier. I had a '73 RD350 and the alternator used DC into slip rings rather than the permanent magnet setup on the Vision. Regulation was accomplished by varying the DC duty cycle to the rotor windings with a relay.

If the RD250 one you're talking about is the same, it is probably only providing rectification, and your battery is providing regulation of sorts.

That being said, there are probably a lot of different reg/rects that will work on the Vision, but they should come from bikes with the same permanent magnet setup.

clarence

this was a lc rd 250 permanent magnet, no slip rings , the reg/rec has the three white wires [3 phase ac in] and the black & red wires dc 13-14 v out, the only problem is that it is slightly physically smaller & may not work forever.

Rick G

According to our opinionated friend, Bernie , the Honda CX 500 R/R  is the one to use. He's probably right, He may be a wise a** , but he seems to know his stuff.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

clarence

yes I heard that too and also honda african twins are good replacements. took the vision for a spin today & everything ok apart from some missing due to pressure wash creating arcing from plug cap to head in front cylinder. seems to go a bit better with less weight from removal of faring & pack rack. also helmet air noise seems to be reduced with no faring, has anybody noticed this?

Lucky

Never Never pressure wash any motorcycle.  the seals are not designed to hold back that kind of water.  i'd change the oil if I were you.

yes, more wind noise with the fairing.  your not actually getting more wind with the fairing, it's just all hitting your helmet while below that is in a pocket.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

clarence

Well I tested my speedo alongside a newish ducati & when the ducati is doing 120 kph the vision is doing 105, so I guess it is doing 185 flat out after all. I cant belive I havn,t been done for speeding these last three months.

Rick G

HI Clarence,  If you want to pay shipping on a headlight bracket ( from Oregon)  you can have it for free.
I have been snorting around on my V for 3 years with  a creaky old speedo  any just this summer I had a conversation with a  Oregon state patrolman about speed , this prompted me to investigate my speedo's accuracy.
Rick G

clarence

thanks for the kind gesture re headlight bracket rick g but I have managed to scrounge one up locally. Now I suppose a higher profile front tyre may fix my speedo innacuracy?

Rick G

Hi Clarence,  I don't think that is the way, I mounted a metzler 110/90  on my bike as I needed a new front tire (tyre?)  a while back . it handled like a steam roller ! Jeff Swann recommends a   100 /80 to improve handling . instead of a larger tyre ,how about useing striping tape and dry transfers to re-mark the speedo. Put  the new numerals on the glass  and seal it with a little clear nail polish.  
Rick G