Changing Swingarm Bearings - HELP

Started by Humber, July 15, 2002, 11:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

Today I was trying to change the bearings 'cos I encountered a play after I removed the suspension spring.

So I followed manual's advice.

I loosened main PIVOT and it was said that then I should easily pull the PIVOT out.

BUT this damn thing is stucked inside and I spent about half a day in garage and it doesn't seem to move!!!

So I tried to pull it from the other side (with hammer and small steel PIVOT). It moved slightly but the force I used nearly made my bike fall.

How to remove it quckly and safely 'cos I don't want to damage sth???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

My guess would be that the pivot pin is either siezed to the bearings, bent, or the bearings have worn a groove in the pin.  you may need to push the swing arm toward the front of the bike, in the opposet direction that the shock pushes, (get someone to help you) to get the pin out.  you might want to see if you can find a new or good used pivot before you keep going.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ArrrGeee

I'll try give you a couple of ideas because you may need to make something
to remove it.  Try not to bash it with a hammer because it's very easy to damage
the threads or mushroom the end of the bolt.

make sure you've bent back the locking tab
soak it with penetrating oil
a very long breaker bar with a pipe on it for some leverage
using a torch, warm up where the bolt goes through the frame
if you have access to a compressor and air wrench, that may have enough power to get it loose.
as a last resort, make a homemade press with some threaded rod, a few nuts and
a piece of steel plate, using the threaded rod to push the bolt through.
you'll need to use your imagination and some bolts to anchor it to the bike for
it to work.

here is a diagram to show you what I mean....

this method does work, I've used it for many difficult jobs. Your best bet tho'
is probably a long breaker bar with a long pipe for leverage and maybe some heat
from a torch.

good luck.

Humber

OK thank u for hints, but as I said I managed to LOOSEN the PIvot. There were no problems. The problems is in pulling it out. It is stucked.

I did what Lucky suggested and it didn't help. I think hammering can only help here or.....??? What do u think???
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

Thanks for help. Today I hammered the damn thing out. There was no other way to do it.

The Pivot turned out to be piece of rust. Althoug the Bushing was 100% PURE.

Changed the Pivot and bearings it is all right NOW.
nie ma podpis?w