valve stems on my 82 v fork tubs?

Started by swat125, October 05, 2006, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swat125

what are these about 1 on each side on top of the top tripple tree//

Brian Moffet

If they are on top of the forks and look like tire pressure adjustments, you have 1983 fork tops.  They are to pressurize the forks somewhat to help the ride.

Brian

Lucky

Sounds like a Rick G. mod. Valve stems in the fork caps give you air forks.  keep the pressure under 15 psi. under load that figure will double or more.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

swat125

ps2/bikevision

is it as simple as drilling and taping a valve stem in the caps to have air forks or are the insides different?

h2olawyer

Simple as drilling & tapping.  (Merely taping would probably leak.  :D )

I did it to my 82 forks before the front end wsap.  Worked great.

There are probably cheaper ways but I found a kit with the valves, a correctly sized drill bit & the proper NPT tap.  It was still under $20.  The shop where I found the kit is no longer in business.  :'(

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

George R. Young

If you use discarded valve stems from broken cast wheels, you don't even need to tap.

AND, if you bash the nut out of that swell screwdriver handle that came with the tool kit, it will fit inside the fork cap and over the valve when you want to assemble or disassemble.