News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Handle Bar Grips

Started by Minitor911, March 11, 2007, 08:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Grips are personal preference, I put foam grips on in '85. Still had them when I put the Vision back on the road in '03 but they felt too large. Got a pair of Superbike Gels and have been happy ever since.
Whale oil beef hooked!

reckon

since I had a handlebar grip come OFF in a heavy downpour when I used hair spray (it IS water soluable)

now I use either high temp contact cement, or handlebar grip glue (basically the same thing)

I used the hairspray faithfully for 20 years until that happened, however.
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

MotorPlow

I liked my gel grips and at less than $12, well worth then money. They have since worn out and I just put standard sport bike grips on... $8.99. I used grip glue to put the new grips on and the throttle side never really set right. Next time, I will go back to the tried and true hair spray.

kiwibum

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask on this one. The bars are 7/8" but what is the length of the grip? I'm looking at getting some heated grips for my bike while I'm in the US and see they come in different lengths. Would appreciate someone measuring theirs for me since my bike is 13,000 miles away from me at the moment (in NZ).

thanks. Steve

h2olawyer

The foam grips I have (Grab On) are 4.5 inches - but those may be compressed a little bit.  The stock type on my other V are 4.75 inches - which is a more standard size.

Hope this helps!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiwibum

Great thanks for that. Was hoping to help stimulate the US economy and buy Hot Grips $118 (www.hotgrips.com but at over twice the price of the Oxford Heaterz $64 (ebay) http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/oxford-hot-grips/ which include a 4 setting controller I'm finding it difficult to convince myself that the extra money is worth it. It's another $35 for a controller for the "Hot Grips". Plus the fact I have to epoxy the "Hot Grips" in place bothers me a little since it makes it difficult to replace if needed. I do like their idea of ribs on the inside of the grips so heat goes to the hands with less transferring to the bars, not sure it that is going to make much difference other than when first turned on.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: kiwibum on December 30, 2008, 05:36:47 PM
Great thanks for that. Was hoping to help stimulate the US economy and buy Hot Grips $118 (www.hotgrips.com but at over twice the price of the Oxford Heaterz $64 (ebay) http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/oxford-hot-grips/ which include a 4 setting controller I'm finding it difficult to convince myself that the extra money is worth it. It's another $35 for a controller for the "Hot Grips". Plus the fact I have to epoxy the "Hot Grips" in place bothers me a little since it makes it difficult to replace if needed. I do like their idea of ribs on the inside of the grips so heat goes to the hands with less transferring to the bars, not sure it that is going to make much difference other than when first turned on.

Hi Steve, Are you back from Panama?
I've got the oxford grips, and they are fine. They warm up in no time flat