How many MPG's are you getting?

Started by Night Vision, April 08, 2007, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

"A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon."

your mileage will vary.... mine is considerably less  :o
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

I work in a large hospital and cover a lot of ground.  I used to wear a pedometer to work but got frustrated by its results.  I was walking, on average 8 to 12 miles per day!  My recorded record was 16 miles on a 12 hour shift.  I took great pains to properly clibrate my pedometer and it had a feature that eliminated abberant leg movement...meaning anything less than my average stride was not counted.
I found that I did the most walking in the Intensive Care Unit, a 31 bed (minus bed 13) unit that is 1/10th mile around.  I also wear out a pair of shoes about every three months.
Why was I frustrated by the results?  Well, a doctor told m it doesn't count as exercise since I'm not sustaining an elevated heart rate.  I told him the walking may not be keeping it up but the stress level sure as heck is. :o
Oh, and since I do so much walking, I unfortunaltely don't have enough time to drink beer.....now where can I get one of those big cups.....

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

i threw $5 in the bike last week, it lasted me 3 days, i rode to work 13 miles each way & at 2.65/gal = about 1.8 gallons works out to about 40 mpg. ride to the dragon last year i got aout 53 mpg, but that was highway up & back, but including the reletivly low speed dragon.

fyi: 83 fuel system on my 82, Me77's, & valves adjusted a season & a half previously, everything else in good shape.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Count me as one of the 'gallons per mile' types.   ;)

Didn't know Metzeler made shoes, Lucky.  Beer @ $2.65 / gal is pretty cheap stuff -- generic?   :D  I will ride after one beer (12 oz.) or two in three hours - can't imagine trying to ride 40 miles after drinking a gallon!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

i think i get about .5 miles per gallon,, of beer- 
with all of the drugs they have me on ,beer just ices the cake,

one beer ,in a frosty mug is all i need for fall over status. the half mile is most likely spent hitting the john too.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I wasn't going to say anything  8)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.