News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Electrical and other problems

Started by wolfrider, July 19, 2007, 05:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfrider

Hello there, I have a 87 XZ400 which doesn't like to idle when stopped or started, when it decides to idle, it is quite rough. Also my indicators flash real slow when i have the headlight on, when the headlight is off the indicators are fine. Are there any major differences between the 550 and 400 apart from engine size? ???
Yeah, there's enough fuel in the tank.....CRAP!

Coil Coyle

Wolf,

Welcome to ROV. 8)

I can't state that the electrical is identical but I am sure that the lighting circuit would be similar. On the homepage, there is a Technical link. Follow that and click the Wiring Diagram. I am assuming that the left and the right signals have the same symptoms.

In the upper left corner of the Diagram you will see the main switch.
        The brown wire from that switch feeds 3 fuses, Ignition, Signal, Headlight. That is the only part of the circuit that is shared by your Flasher Relay and your Headlight.

So, you need to verify that you have bright clean connections at; Battery Positive, Main Fuse holder, Connectors in the Red wire to the Main Switch, Connectors in the Brown wire at places where it has double splice connectors. While you are in the fuse box, clean all of the fuse holders.

Your lights will now work OK  :) or not. :-\

If not  :-\ you will need to use a Voltmeter and check for DC Volts between the Main Fuse and the Brown wire side of the Signal fuse while the motor is running and the flashers are on. If you see voltage there that goes up every time the flashers light the lamps then the main switch contact is dirty and you need a new switch. (clean contacts?)

$0.02
;)
Coil

dj

To me it sounds like a voltage issue.  When the headlamp is on it is sucking up voltage and the flashers aren't getting enough (causing them not to blink).

Check your voltage at the battery when the bike is running and see if it is charging back up to 14.5 volts.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

wolfrider

Thanks guys, the electrical problems turned out to be a battrey not fully charged, put it on the charger and the lights and indcators worked normally, got to fix the oil leaking from the gear leaver now.

QBS

Use a voltmeter to check your stator output at the battery.  Report back here with the data.

wolfrider

13.75v with lights off, 12.5v with lights on.