Introduction from far off places

Started by treedragon, October 27, 2007, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Hi Tree, it looks great from here !  I notice that you get the short rear fender , that we get in north America. 
The European v's get the long fender.  If you ever come accross a pair of the  ZX550 badges I'd like tp trade/purchase a set , we don't get them here. I just want to be a bit different.  Thanks, Rick
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Greasing the small carrier bushing that the speedo cable plugs into may help your speedo accuracy and cable life.  Do an archive search under speedometer and read up on the process.  It's been addressed here several times.  Greasing the carrier bushing should be an anual preventive maintenance item for all Vnarys.  Do so and your speedo will love you forever.  Don't do so and you'll hate your speedo at about 35k miles.  Cheers.

kiwibum

treedragon, ShaneSpring. Nice to know of more XZ'ders in NZ, I'm based in Wellington, just been down the Sth Is to the Burt Munro Challenge, I'm keen to have an XZ in the races there at some stage. Interesting the claim of only four full faired bikes brought in to NZ, I have two of them (ZX550 and one XZ400) wonder where the other one (ones) are. Below is photo of 7 XZ's in my little garage, main transport (was) 400 at the front (now using 550 with white front guard next to it). Can't see the full fairings, they are on shelves out of shot, were taken off bikes to fit them in to van to get them home. For those that are counting there is 7 bikes there, an old shirt is draped over the front wheel of one near the back.

Anyway, welcome TreeDragon. I think that makes 6-7 from NZ in ROV, almost enough for an NZ convention.

Night Vision

7!!!! outstanding....
if they're all tagged, maybe six of us can fly over for a ride sometime?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiwibum

unfortunately not, 4 of them are but I'm selling the two 400's to give me some room and money to work on the 3 550's I have (one will stay original, one lightened SP version with 400 bits for commuting and one race special). Although in your comment brings back the idea I had of creating a rental fleet of XZ's for touring round the country. Once the stator reliability is sorted out I think they would be great for that.

louthepou

Quote from: treedragon on October 27, 2007, 06:13:59 PM
Hi all

I just thought I would briefly (ha!) introduce myself as I have recently become an XZ550D owner.
(...)
Thanks for reading, I will attempt brevity in future posts  ::)

Keep those posts coming, treedragon, the winter's going to be long over here, I sure can use a good distraction :)

Welcome!

Lou (somewhere in Canada)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

pullshocks

More pictures of the one with the blue & white paint job (on the left)??? I kind of like the color change at the tank countour, would like to see from other angles.

kiwibum

Quote from: pullshocks on December 11, 2007, 12:07:40 AM
More pictures of the one with the blue & white paint job (on the left)??? I kind of like the color change at the tank countour, would like to see from other angles.
screen has been replaced since this photo otherwise it's the same. Looks like original paint, I have spare front guard off another one same colour. Has red pin striping next to blue, not so easy to tell colour from this pic. At some stage I'm going to put photos of all the bikes up on my website but haven't had time.

pullshocks

Cool.   What kind of exhaust is that?

kiwibum

Quote from: pullshocks on December 11, 2007, 09:24:10 AM
Cool.   What kind of exhaust is that?
cycleworks (company in New Zealand that makes bike pipes, they don't make them for the XZ any more). exhaust is bandaged with a piece of galvanized tin rapped round it and riveted in place, works well so haven't bothered to change it. Common for these cycleworks exhausts to rust out where the patch is on this one.

Night Vision

my brother is looking for handguards... where'd you get those?
;D

kiwibum

came with the bike, no idea where to get them, good idea, they are rubber not plastic.

h2olawyer

Check out Dennis Kirk's dirt bike catalogue section.  They have quite a bit of dirt bike bodywork available there.  You can see it online, too.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

the problem with universal fits ones is that they are guaranteed to fit any bike...just not all models  ::)

trust me... I'm not trying real hard to find him some... but since those were the first ones I've seen on a V, I thought I'd ask..
;D

Rick G

That reminds me of the " universal "racks we installed on bikes in the 60's  They fit all bikes , just didn't fit any of them well.

I really like the blue and white paint scheme, how come we never got any of the  neat two tone paint jobs, I wonder.?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Americans' tastes are not 'sophisticated' enough for the pretty stuff.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

garrymac

;)hi treedragon have just joined this forum Is good to see other yam owners close I'm in dunners and about to take delivery of a xz400 from your way Could be interesting Last bike was aES400 and before that a 1981 harley lowrider tractor Am looking forward to getting bake on a v twin

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: garrymac on November 07, 2008, 05:42:51 AM
;)hi treedragon have just joined this forum Is good to see other yam owners close I'm in dunners and about to take delivery of a xz400 from your way Could be interesting Last bike was aES400 and before that a 1981 harley lowrider tractor Am looking forward to getting bake on a v twin

Hi GarryMac, Welcome to NZROV.  If you are passing through Christchurch to collect and would like a spare XZ400 engine let me know, I'm stripping it out of my parts bike today.
No charge, but it would need to be in the next week or so.  Running, but the stator is shot.

treedragon

Hi there garrymac

Good to hear from you, there is many a nice corner between there and here.... or is that here and there  ??? Call in if you have a mind to, PM  me for details of where I be, my time is flexible, be good to connect.

It could be the wine I have just dealt to (saturday night and all..........) but I'm a thinking that us here in NZ could follow the lead of our northern hemisphere XZ compatriots and get a tad more organized. I can see, even as a relative newcomer to these forums, that on a per capita basis NZ has a pretty good showing in the XZ stakes and I can't help wondering if they have been introduced to No 8 technology...........  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

garrymac

hi would love the motor as a spare If its arunner it would be worth shipping down here thanks garry 034555975