News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

YelowJacket! is a Custom Bagger Now. Upgrade COMPLETED! New Pics

Started by YellowJacket!, November 07, 2008, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OMG!  I am absolutely beside myself.  My XV750 Saddle bags arrived today.  Not only are they NEW but they are still sealed in the original Yamaha packaging!!  They are freakin gorgeous! The even better part is that they are BLACK  not silver.  I opened one of them up and it is simply amazing.  Brand New fresh new motorcycle smell too.

I already have the mounting brackets which will have to be slightly modified (probably a slight bend or two only) but the bags came with all the keyed locking tabs and the keys for the bags as well.

I have an exam to take tonight so I don't have time to take some pics but I will tomorrow and post them.  This was probably the best deal I got for YJ yet!  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Oh and BTW,  My Nelson Riggs bags are going up for the first decent offer.  I'll post some pics and specs on them too.

David

YellowJacket!

OK, finished my exam.  Although I'm somewhat braindead after a long day at work followed by a particularly difficult exam on the nervous system, I decided to take and post some pics.  I wont have any days off till later in the week so I wont be able to mount them until probably next weekend.
The pictures really don't do them any justice.

New Bags:

David

pullshocks

Sweet.  Can't wait to see them in place.

The Prophet of Doom

David, How do I get me a set of those?

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on November 08, 2008, 04:40:08 AM
David, How do I get me a set of those?

Ive had a search going on ebay for about a year for "Yamaha Saddle Bags", Virago Saddle Bgags and "Virago Hard Bags" and finallly got a hit about 2 weeks ago when a seller listed two NOS sets for 100.00.  Both sets were listed at the same tome and I had bid on only one set and lost by 1.00 (selling price was 121.00.  I contacted the seller since the other set didn't sell and he let me do a buy it now for the bags.
They arrived yesterday in the original Yamaha shippping packaging with the parts sticker and everything.

If you are looking for a set of hard bags, I have some that are similar that kiawrench gave me but I don't have any mounting brackets for them.  They will also need to be stripped and painted but are otherwise in pretty good condition,  You'll just have to fabricate some brackets.  I can post some pics if you are interested.

David

Walt_M.

Unbelievably excellent find! Perseverence pays off.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

8) Superb, well done Dave... 8) More pictures required when you get those mounted...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

Lucky you, damn,first time I have been jealous of anyone in years.... :'(  What are their measurements?Reason I ask...I see old removable Venture bags similar to those. But the Ventures are too big(tall).  I have seen those many times on Viragos. Did those come with any mounts? If not...I recommend you do NOT modify the brackets on the bags. Make your mounts to fit the factory brackets. If you look enough, you could find original bags mounts for a virago and modify them.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

YellowJacket!

I got a set of mounts and a single bag that was a little worn.  The mounts were in great shape and just needed a little sanding and paint.
I have the other Virago bag that came with hte mounts as well as the locks and spring loaded locking pins but no keys.

If you are inteerested in the single bag and want to take a chance that you may find a matching one, PM me an offer.  Right now its just taking up space in my barn.  I can send you some pics of it too if you want.  Can't get inside it though since I don't have the keys.

As far as mods to the brackets, I'm gonna have to think it over.  They are *close* to the mounting points on the Vision.  One fo the tabs sits about 2" behind the grab handle on the tail light assy.  I'm not sure if I want to cut it off and have it moved and re welded or just remove it and fabricate a strap and bolt it to the grab handle.  The grab handles will also have to go as they stick out too far.  I think the brackets can also be bent slightly to fit the Vision but I don't want to mess with anything until I am sure I won't ruin anything.

I'll probably be posting some more pics tomorrow.

David

YellowJacket!

Finally had a day off and no schoolwork ao I was able to work on my new bagger project today.

The mounting brackets are almost a perfect fit and the bags fit snugly to the bike.  I'm gonna have to make only two slight modifications to the brackets and my MAC Mounts to get it all perfect.  I'll have to cut off themounting tab on the rear of the brackets and have it welded about 2" forward of its present location.  Right now it sticks uneder the tail light cone.  I want to move it forward so I can connect it where the passenger grab handles go.  The forward tab on the left side will have to be bent inward about an inch.  The right side mount also rubs the swingarm due to the Mac bracket but I can fix that.

The OEM signals fit almost perfectly using Kevins "Shorty Stalks" but I'm toying with the idea of going with a signal/parking light/brake light setup.

Heres lots of pics of the project:

The left side bracket (temporarily mounted)

Lock Mechanism:

One done, one to go:

Nice fit with the OEM signal and shorty stalk:

YJ is a "Bagger"

Rear View - Both done:

An "open and shut case"

I think the black really goes well with the bikes current color scheme and they are just too nice to strip and paint so I'm gonna keep them the way they are.  Besides painting them yellow would just make them look like pollen bags.

Last up is to modify the under seat plastic rails to get them to fit over the brackets.  Shoulda kept the spares I gave away.

More pics coming soon.

David

joevacc

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

YellowJacket!

It quit drizzling out long enough to take some better pics.

Ready for takeoff!

Closed:

I love this pic:

More angles:

A better view of the inside:

Gull Wings anyone?

David

pullshocks

Those would look much better on an 83 with the original black and gold.  Take them off and send them to me. ;D

YellowJacket!

Quote from: pullshocks on November 11, 2008, 06:15:48 PM
Those would look much better on an 83 with the original black and gold.  Take them off and send them to me. ;D

OK, they're on the way....Not!  ;D

I did discover one interesting thing about them.  I WILL have to do the 83 shock upgrade.  I'm off work 3 days next week, so I'll probably start that next.

David

Kevin

Night Vision

those do look good!

now you're really going to have to try to keep her from flopping around in that gravel parking lot  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Nice!   ;D

Be careful when lane splitting.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

8) Nice Dave, really nice... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

There beautiful David!! So is the whole bike!  I really envy those who live in wetter climates , my bike looked like new in OR.,  but here in the desert is almost impossible to keep it  looking good. every time a fellow visionary comes to town my bike is usually the worst looking one.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike