News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Switching fairings and making glass piece

Started by tt315, November 25, 2008, 06:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tt315

Hello,
   Since the weather is cold in PA i have been playing around with the idea of putting the stock fairing back on.  As well as the painted parts from my parts bike. 

I currently have a round light up front but the fairing doesn't blow the wind over my head. 

Current

And am thinking about going back to this one

I read getting the glass for the shark fairing is pretty hard which brings me to my question. 

Has anyone made one out of Lexan? Or is that a bad idea?

Please let me know,

Thanks, taylor

YellowJacket!

I really like my shark fairing and it does a good job of blocking the wind.
Anything is possible as far as getting a replacement lense, in fact, I think bikescreen.com (gustaffsen plastics) has one.  However, it is the rubber grooved seal that is what is so hard to come by.  I'm sure that someone could make a seal or even use rubber sealer to hold the lens in place but it probably wouldn't look as good as the original.
I think the most difficult part of dealing with my bike falling earlier this year was coping with the rubber tabs being broken off the seal that hold it in place.  I was luck too that the glass didn't break.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

The Prophet of Doom

tt315

Thanks for the infomation.

I will call bikescreen.com and see if they have it because i didn't find it on their website.

I have the original rubber piece that goes around the light opening although its a little chipped

I read that people go without the glass but I think it would look much better with glass in place.   

Any thought on making a lexan cover.  I have been reading about bending the lexan and it sounds feasable.

thanks, taylor   

YellowJacket!

yup, thats about what mine looks like too.  I think you have a few more of the tabs on yours.

David

YellowJacket!

Taylor,
I'm almost certain that this is the one you need.

If the link does not work, its on the 14th page of the yamaha windscreens.

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?prod=YamahaSeca750%6081%2D%6082H%2EC%2E

David

Night Vision

Quote from: tt315 on November 25, 2008, 06:23:11 PM

I currently have a round light up front but the fairing doesn't blow the wind over my head. 

it's been awhile since I had mine on.... but IIRC, the standard shark shield won't blow wind over your head either... ask Dave or put yours back on and try it.

if you're interested, I have a NOS tall shield that fits the shark that is the OEM Seca tall touring shield. It's about 17" tall

.... I have fitted it to a shark, but have not road tested it since realizing that I enjoy my nakedness too much.....

@half the price of those listed in the link

ping me if you're interested, and I'll send some pics
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano