News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Back to stock air box

Started by The Prophet of Doom, May 19, 2009, 08:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

My 82 550 came from PO with airbox removed, The carb is off a XZ400 and rejetted/fiddled with in some unknown way. 
I was initially pleased with it as it made cool noises  and accellerated like a bat out of hell.  Now I am riding it a bit more, it is driving me nuts - far too touchy for pleasurable and relaxed riding, and keeps bogging down and loosing power at inopportune moments, especially after a period of non-accelleration.  It only goes well flat out.  It's going back to stock.

Here is the question.  As I have only a XZ400 air box (which has no flapper - just a hole) that's what I will have to use, should I use the XZ400 Jetting or the 82 Jetting?  They both use the BD34 Carb.

Main  Jet
107.5/110 (400)  or 122.5/127.5 (82 550)
Pilot Air Jet
145 (400) or 130 (82 550) 

I also have a slightly noisier than stock pipe, and live at sea level
Any opinions?

h2olawyer

Since the 400 carbs are BD34s as well, I'd definitely go with the 82 XZ550 jetting.  Jets don't cost much and if it turns out they don't work with the 400 carbs, you're not out much $$.  I noticed that my V with the loud MACs was much quieter when I got the carbs squeaky clean, properly set and synchronized.  Still loud but less obnoxious.

Just my $0.02.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

have you been to XzV2's site?

he has good info on the XZ400 carb settings

http://www.xz550.nl/
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano